Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my 5.5 but the terrain in colorado is a bit more all mountain then where I used to live on the east coast. Kicking around the idea of an adjustable seatpost as I've been dropping mine a lot lately. The leader is the maverick speedball r with the allmountainpost :
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2860009#poststop
coming in second. The gravity dropper, while has a great reputation comes in third. I like the larger size of post the speedball has and one of the magizines did a review and the speedball just barely edged out the gravity dropper; the allmountainpost is still of an unknown.
Anybody run these on their bikes and if so, if you have any pictures, I would love to see the cable routing. No way I'm ruining the beautiful lines these bikes have with a bunch of zip ties. Do you just "glue" some cable guides on the side of the toptube?
another other opinions/advice on this next purchase will also be welcomed!
thanks

·
Fun-O-Meter
205 Posts
Seatpost

I've got a Maverick on my VPX, and my gf rides a GD on her FSR. They are both very nice. I do think the Maverick is a stronger post, but it might just be perception.

Just zip-tie the cable to the top tube.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
beat ya to it

macdaddyg2006 said:
Stay tuned for an update.
thanks but ordered mine two days ago. shipped by ground so if you got something express, you might beat me to it.
I figure I'm going to zip tie it to the rear brake cable as it runs down the top tube. i'll see if that works.
I ordered it direct from maverick. did you get a shipping number cause i didn't. maybe it's usps?
thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah I shipped via ground as well...

to los angeles. I'm excited! I bought a new office chair yesterday and was playing with the up and down lever with my young son in the seat - this inspired me to order the seatpost. Also, I fell over on my bike at the end of my ride last weekend, not on the trail, but on the sidewalk. I was kind of spent and just could not get my foot out of the pedal and to the ground fast enough before i went ker-splatt!! No injuries - just some scrapes and bruises.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I also live in CO so I can relate. Many think they are the work of the devil and that you will burn in hell if you use one. I had a Gravity Dropper on my Moment and liked it. I have a friend who has the non-remote version of the Speedball that I have tried and It is also pretty good. The G.D. has an obvious mechanical feel to it. The Speedball was very smooth but the lever under the seat was silly. My buddy generally has to stop to lower and raise the seat. The remote should solve that issue. The Speedball does not lock in place when you lower it. If your shorts snag on the saddle in the lowered position the seat will raise. My buddy only had this happen once or twice when he first got it.

Problem Solver makes an adhesive cable guide that works pretty good. I zip tied mine to my front der. housing and it worked and looked fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got it

wow, smooth. haven't ridden it yet as there are 30 mph gusts out side and only 45 degrees.
well built
good instructions
very smooth
trigger feels/looks solid
ran it on the left side/front brake around the right, connected it to my hydro brake line that runs down the center of the top tube, on the left side and up to the seat.
report to come soon as quick as i can get outside!

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Yeah, the Speedball R having the remote lever on the bars is a critical improvement. Now Gravity Dropper has 3 posts (the Descender, Gravity Dropper, and Turbo), Maverick has the Speedball, and the Speedball R, and there is the new All Mountain Post.

Great products (any of the 3 brands) to add flow to any ride. Hard to ride without one after you get used to having the option to dropping the seat with a flick of the finger.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah

mezzanine said:
can you cut the seatpost down as I'll be putting it on a Tracer and think the 350mm will be slightly too long.
maybe in inch, inch and a half. there was a "do not cu\t above this line" mark but I can't take it out of the tube without taking the think apart as I ran the cable pretty tight (one down side). send a PM to the other guy who bought one. he lives on the west coast so he might not have his yet.
good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts