Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Newb to MTN Biking
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I need to know specification wise besides getting what will fit like my old stuff. Im looking to swap out the Stem, Handlebars, and Seat Post. I was going to order the same sizes and specs as my factory stuff but get it in Carbon Fiber- FSA brand.

I was going to go to the 31.8mm bars as the 25.4mm factories, and I will get the size in the stem to fit.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
The stem has a length, angle, and two clamp sizes. Most mountain bikes from the last ten years have a 1 1/8" clamp for the steer tube. You need the handlebar clamp to be the same size as the clamp diameter of the handlebars; since you're replacing both, you don't need to worry about what your old bar clamp diameter was. For an identical fit, match the angle and length.

For the seat post, you need to match the diameter of your current one. You can find that out with a calipers. You also need one that's long enough - many sold for road use are too short for the way a lot of mountain bike frames are shaped, especially if you have a particularly masochistic set-up. You can measure your current one to find out the length; note that the minimum insertion can vary for different seat posts.

EDIT: note that you probably won't feel a difference when you actually ride the bike, unless the old stuff is hi-ten steel.

·
Newb to MTN Biking
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AndrwSwitch said:
For an identical fit, match the angle and length.
My current stem is 105mm @10d, it wouldnt be that big of a deal to switch to a 100mm or110mm at 6d would it. I guess what im saying its such a minimum change you wouldnt feel it that much, would you?

Thanks for the help.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
I myself prefer less of a rise so I would do it. I don't think it's going to change your life but you will probably notice it a little at first.

·
Newb to MTN Biking
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jdreher55 said:
I myself prefer less of a rise so I would do it. I don't think it's going to change your life but you will probably notice it a little at first.
Thank you, I guess a matter of getting use to it.

Also, my current is 105mm should I go 100mm or 110mm? Im not really seeing alot of stems at 105mm, that why im asking. But, I may not be looking in the right area...LOL

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
bad mechanic said:
...or you can pull out the current one and read the size off of it.
Duh. :p I have a caliper sitting in my tool bag about 8' away from me. You know what they say about giving a man a hammer.

·
Newb to MTN Biking
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whats the difference in the straight bar vs. curved bars. I can get a good price on some straight ones, just looking for input.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Curved bars are referred to as riser bars and come with different amounts of rise. The difference is hand position.

example: If your current bars have 20mm rise, your hand position will be 20mm lower if you install a flat bar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts