Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I love the Thule and Yakimas for price and durability. The Thule looks a little sleeker in my opinion. I am going to assume you are new to racks and give you my spiel. I have researched and dreamed about racks (and purchased too) a lot in the past and found some good stuff.

Find out what style of rack you want- front wheel off or on?

Go to the Yakima site and the Thule site and get all the part numbers you would need using thier fit guides. Get prices too.

If you want to go used (not a bad idea) hit up Ebay and start searching. Don't just use part numbers in your search though as you will miss a lot of good deals (and maybe even snipe a great deal) from folks who have no idea what they are selling, like the Ebay clearinghouses and that.

I mix and matched a set up for my Honda Civic, Toyota Truck Camper shell and on my Volvo. In each case I spent no more that $200 complete and spent only $120 for one set up. I bought the rails from one guy, the mounts from another etc. Tedious, but if you have more time than money....

Try Craigslist too, although they come few and far between. I have bought mounts from a guy I saw in a parking lot who obviously did not ride for $30 cash on the spot, just by asking if he wanted to get rid of them and offering what I had in my pocket! Have fun!

·
Registered
238 Posts
You probably already know this, but... don't buy a roof rack from the car manufacturer. I'm assuming Honda makes one. You'll spend a fortune. It'll look nice, but won't be as functional as the Thule and Yakima racks. And if you should ever need parts, you'll have to go back to a dealership to order them, which is a pain.

Spoken from experience.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have the Thule on mine, its an 06 and it has worked great. it eats the mileage when loaded up. I use the upright carriers that were about 140 each and the bars were a gift. The only reason I didnt get the hitch was the low clearance of the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.