Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to know if there were any red flags about this bike I should know about for the 2008 model year.

TIA!

FRAME M5 alloy hardtail, fully manipulated DT, TT, SS, CS, ST w/ shared tube Mono-stay seatstays, new larger diameter/stiffer ORE DT/TT, disc mount, replaceable derailleur hanger
REAR SHOCK N/A
FORK Fox F90 RL, 90mm travel, air spring, rebound/compression adjust w/ lock out, alloy steerer
HEADSET 1 1/8" threadless, alloy cups w/ 10mm insertion, sealed cartridge bearing
STEM Specialized adjustable rise, 31.8mm clamp, 3D forged w/CNC finish
HANDLEBARS Specialized XC flat 31.8mm bar, 2014 butted alloy, 6 degree backsweep, 600mm wide
TAPE/GRIPS Specialized thin lock on grip, dual density
FRONT BRAKE Custom Avid Juicy 5 SL, hydraulic disc, 160mm rotor
REAR BRAKE Custom Avid Juicy 5 SL, hydraulic disc, 160mm rotor
BRAKE LEVERS Custom Avid Juicy 5 SL, hydraulic disc
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M581 LX, 34.9mm clamp, bottom swing, dual pull
REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X-9, 9-speed, mid cage
SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X-7, aluminum 9-speed trigger
CASSETTE FREEWHEEL Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 11-34t
CHAIN SRAM PC-971 w/ Power Link
CRANKSET Shimano A/A/S 2pc custom
CHAINRINGS 22S/32A/44A, 4 bolt 104/64mm
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano M542, 2pc custom for Specialized
PEDALS Crank Brothers Smarty custom for Specialized
RIMS DT Swiss custom for Specialized X420, 24mm w/ eyelets, 28/32h
FRONT HUB Specialized Hi Lo disc, 28h CNC flange and disc mount, sealed cartridge bearing, 9mm DT RWS alloy QR
REAR HUB Shimano custom M525SL hub for Specialized, 32h, alloy QR
SPOKES DT Swiss 1.8mm stainless, alloy nipples
FRONT TIRE Specialized Fast Trak Control LK, 26x2.0", 60TPI, tubeless ready aramid bead, dual compound
REAR TIRE Specialized Fast Trak Control LK, 26x2.0", 60TPI, tubeless ready aramid bead, dual compound
TUBES Specialized Ultralite, .6mm, presta
SADDLE Specialized XC MTB, hollow Cr-Mo rails, SL foam
SEAT POST 2014 butted alloy, single bolt setback, 30.9 x 350/400mm
SEAT BINDER Alloy single bolt, 34.9mm clamp ID

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought this bike for 1500 with no sales tax a couple weeks ago. Change of handlebar, stem, seatpost and saddle and i cant say enough about this ride. Fast as all hell, Fox Fork (nough said) and good components. I have no regrets and either will you. Pull the trigger on this thing. I mean for the price this thing is a no brainer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BananaBoy_S4 said:
1500! i thought it retailed for 1800?
It does but if you walk into a place with msrp price on the bike walk out. I always no matter how dirt cheap the bike is say "how can we work on this price"? I would say the bare minimum you want to get off of a bike is 10% off of msrp. I dont know if you live near So Cal but if you do i can point you to a couple great shops.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought the same bike (HT Comp, mine's matte black) about 3 months back. Paid $1395 for it during an "Anniversary Sale" at local dealer. I can't say enough good things about it. Beautiful bike in every respect.

...Except (and this is just preference) I HATED the Crank Brothers pedals--I gave 'em a week and hated them more at the end. Those were quickly nixed for a set of Shimano PD-M540's.

Definitely recommend the bike otherwise.
-Dan

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Maybe yall can help. Got a few questions. Does anybody know what a large comp weighs in at in stock form? I also noticed the comp has a DT wheelset over the base models 317s, and discs vs. rim brakes. How much, if any better are the DT wheelsets over the 317s? Are they $450 better? And lets say I have another wheelset that is disc ready, allthough I only currently have BB5s, I might upgrade to BB7s. Add in another hundred so that makes the difference of $350 between the two models.

With some higher end stuff on my rigid bike that I can transfer over to the new bike like a better drive train, shifters, King headset etc, what would yall do?

BTW, my current wheelset is Vuelta XRP comps. Yes they are cheap and probably wont hold up but they can get me by for now and get me the new bike quicker. On the down side, the rim brakes and wheels would be useless on my rigid bike if I wanted to swap them over and I guess I just answered my question in a way. The Comps wheelset would have to be much better than the base models to even this out. I HATE thinking! :madman:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
25 pounds in stock form aint too bad! :thumbsup: Thanks guys! :D

If I swap out the LX crankset for my XT, Thomson stem and seatpost, cassett, chain and saddle off of my rigid bike, I can drop another 1 1/2 pounds. Pick up some Kenda Karmas and drop another half pound. ;)

Thats a pretty good bike for the price! :cool: I like!

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
BananaBoy_S4: Ill stop by my LBS on Monday and give one a ride and talk to my mechanic and see what he has to say. Then Ill let you know what I learn. Since the Stumpy has been around for, practically ever, I bet its nothing short of one of the best HTs ever made for the price.

·
for three!
208 Posts
Gary H said:
I bet its nothing short of one of the best HTs ever made for the price.
You got that right :thumbsup: My bikes down to 23.5 pounds with a change of tires, handlebar and stem, and it's unbelievabe how good she rides and the fact i only paid 1200 bucks for the bike. I tried various offerings from trek, giant, and scott in the same price range, and while they were all nice pieces, the stumpjumper stood out in my book.

·
Registered
14 Posts
vs. Ibex Tropy Pro

I realize this won't be the most unbiased forum, but how would this compare at $1,299? How would the frame and fork compare (most other components are upgrades from the Stumpjumper Comp)? Thanks.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-PRO-Details.html

Frame: Triple-Butted 6069 Aluminum
Fork: Rock Shox Reba Race* 100mm Travel
w/ Remote Lockout, Motion Control & External Rebound
Shifters: Shimano XT Rapidfire Plus
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow (low profile version)
Crankset: TruVativ Stylo Team 3.3
Cassette: SRAM PG-980 (11-32T)
Chain: KMC Z9200
Brakes: Avid Juicy-7 Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Levers: Avid Juicy-7
Rims: Sun Equalizer EQ23 Rims
Hubs: Novatec 4/2 Sealed Bearing Hubs
Tires: WTB ExiWolf - 26" x 2.10 Folding
Headset: Cane Creek S-3
Handelbar: FSA XC-190 - 25mm rise x 630mm
Stem:: FSA XC-150XT
Seatpost: FSA SL-280-CW Carbon/Alloy
Saddle: WTB Devo Team
Pedals: Shimano M520 Cllipless

·
for three!
208 Posts
Well the stumpy frame is the m5 alloy, which is like a steak dinner to that 6069 aluminum's manwich. The reba race fork is nice, but the fox f90 rl is about a half pound lighter, looks much sweeter, and in my experience is a better fork overall. Fox>rockshox in the fork business imo.....mmm fork business. Can you tell i haven't eaten dinner yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
karlmalone1 said:
Well the stumpy frame is the m5 alloy, which is like a steak dinner to that 6069 aluminum's manwich. The reba race fork is nice, but the fox f90 rl is about a half pound lighter, looks much sweeter, and in my experience is a better fork overall. Fox>rockshox in the fork business imo.....mmm fork business. Can you tell i haven't eaten dinner yet?
nice post karlmalone :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
karlmalone1 said:
Indeed, slightly biased though perhaps? The m5 frame is nicer, I'd agree on that, the triple butted 6069 Ibex frame isn't far off though, the weight will be very close. The hydroforming and reliability of the m5 would sell it to me alone. They're not amazingly light though, if I was a gambling man I'd put money on the Ibex being lighter. My m4 has lasted for 5 years so far and is still going strong though! :)

The Rebas weigh about the same as the F90rl, both are around ~1650g, the "motion control damping" on the Rebas are similar to the low speed compression damping on the more expensive Fox rlc. Cheaper forks but very good all the same. I'd probably still have the F90rls for the plushness, a lot of the budget has been blown on them though, the Rebas are a better platform for climbing on in my opinion (from someone who owns both on 2 different bikes currently, along with F80X which I'd rate even higher for an XC race bike :p ).

Juicy 7s over Juicy 5s is a no brainer, the feel is the same but the construction is slightly different. The new shadow XT I'd personally pick over SRAM every time, some people like the reliable but clunky SRAM shifting, I prefer the quick, silent shifting the new XT shadow bits give any day.

The finishing components are comparable, FSA do some amazingly good value light bits. Specialized own brand bits are very good as well generally though.

That's about as unbiased as I can be, given I ride a Stumpjumper HT and love it to bits ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.