Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I'm pretty new to mountain biking but the little I have done I love. Anyway I was looking to get a newer Specialized Rockhopper, but I saw this craigslist ad for a Klein and I was wondering how much the bike is worth, and what year this bike is? To me it looks kind of older. Here's what the ad says:

"Medium Klein (fits 5'5" to 5'10" depending on body composition) Mountain Bike for sale. XT and XTR components; Avid brakes; Marzocchi Bomber shock; Thomson seatpost; slight riser bar with climbing bars.

Attitude Comp Model, dark turquoise metallic with light yellow writing -- beautiful Klein quality frame and finish and BARELY ridden."

What do ya think, should I go with a brand new Rockhopper or this? I kinda have my heart set on the new bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I would rather have the Klein. The bike is probably pretty light maybe 23 pounds. Too bad the seller doesnt say what year it is. As long as its a 2000 or newer bike and it has Shimano XT cranks, 27 speeed 22-32-44 go for it. The only down side on the bike is the rim brakes but thats not really too bad. I am guessing the bike is one of the last American made Kleins and that has value to it. Make sure nothing has been swapped out like the wheels. It should have mavic 517 wheels. Put $600 in your pocket and go test ride the bike. If it fits like a glove I think you will have just bought a great bike.

Ok offer $500 on it but expect to pay $600.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I offered $450 and got a no, I think the highest I'll pay is $550. Unfortunately I'm new to this sport so I don't have much knowledge on the bikes and components.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
It could be lightly used. The climbing bars were pretty popular about 8 years ago. XT-752 cranks, xtr brakes, xt derailleurs, Mavic 517 wheels, thomson seatpost. I think $600 might be slightly high but I think an Ebay check will show the price in that ballpark. The frame alone if American made could sell for $300.

The 752 cranks which I think came out in 2000 although old pretty much set the standard for Bolt Center Diameter and chain ring teeth. The current XT and XTR match the old 752. The rest of the stuff really hasnt changed that much except maybe the fork. A used Reba or Fox F-80 gotten cheap enough could make this pretty nice.

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
borregokid said:
The frame alone if American made could sell for $300.
I have an 06 Attitude frame sitting around and it was made in the USA. Price of a new frame is close to $900 and for those who have ridden a Klein, understand why! :thumbsup:

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
The seller sounds like he doesn't know much about bikes either. A 5' 5" rider on a medium frame?

The seller has also supplied pictures that conceal the drivetrain. Either he did this on purpose to hide the fact that it's a 1998 model year with an eight speed cassette and square taper M739 cranks, or maybe he just didn't know any better.

$450 was a fair offer.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Some take Kleins purely as collector's items and pay crazy amounts of money for them.

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
perttime said:
Some take Kleins purely as collector's items and pay crazy amounts of money for them.
Exactly! Just me, but if the frame alone is in mint condition, I would have no problem paying over $500 for it and then stash it for later when the value goes up.

·
Premium Member
8,008 Posts
borregokid said:
I am guessing the bike is one of the last American made Kleins and that has value to it.
All Kleins were made in the US. The only difference were that the earlier ones were welded in Washington, the later ones in Wisconsin.

There is nothing magical about the frames. They are beautiful, they are reasonably light, and they tend to be really stiff. I have had two of them.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
It's doubtful the value will go up significantly.

The Kleins that collectors go crazy for were manufactured in Chehalis WA before Trek acquired them in 1995.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.