Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://images.craigslist.org/01111_exICTyt1xuT_600x450.jpg
Looking to purchase my first bike. Wanted to go the used route to start out and wanted to see if this bike was good to start with. It is a haro r3 shift with dual disc brakes, mono rear and dual front suspension for $400.00(atleast that is what it says). I am brand new to mountain biking so wanted to see if this was a good deal.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thats a 2006 model and the bike blue book doesn't even have a value on it. Its not a bad first bike, but I'm not sure if I would pay $400 for it, especially with the components on there.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
https://images.craigslist.org/01111_exICTyt1xuT_600x450.jpg
Looking to purchase my first bike. Wanted to go the used route to start out and wanted to see if this bike was good to start with. It is a haro r3 shift with dual disc brakes, mono rear and dual front suspension for $400.00(atleast that is what it says). I am brand new to mountain biking so wanted to see if this was a good deal.
Great idea to start with a used bike. That being said, I wouldn't pay $400 for that bike. What's your budget?

G

·
21/22 are good sizes but you need to test ride to be sure. Bike fit isn't strictly controlled by frame size to height comparisons. Riders with longer legs or torsos will need different size frames, some bikes geometries are different as well. Especially as a new rider, getting a bike that places you in too low or aggressive a position will cause you to fatigue quickly at first. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
$600-$700
The good news is you will be able to afford a good HT bike. The bad news is you will be really lucky to find even a decent FS in that range. Marin, Kona, Trek, etc. should all have good options. Keep an eye out for shop sales on new bikes too. I picked up a new Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc at 50% off.

For your size you will be a L or XL. Depends on the brand. You will need to test ride a few.

What is your local terrain like?

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
eb1888, do you work for Crosslake Sales?
Because you sure do pimp them out a lot. lol

They are good deals but not the answer to every ones bike needs.

OP, next time just post the ad. It will help people help you.
HARO R3 SHIFT MOUNTAIN BIKE

That could be a 2006 or 2005 as they did the color in both years.
BBB lists those years but no values. They do however list the 2007 value

2007 Haro Shift R3 - New and Used Bike Value

Bike appears to be in good shape. The 2007 lists at $241 in good shape.
I wouldn't pay a dime over $200 for it since it is a year or two older.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Extra large ,to start. Do know anyone that rides? They might be able to help you find something.You might be better off going with new from a shop for the support they will provide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
most trails are mainly flat. A few steeper ones. Pocono mountains are 2 hrs away. Obviously out of my range for now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts