Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've ordered and paid for it and it should be shipping tomorrow to the snowy shores of the UK and I cannot wait!

Chad at Soul helped me out with most of the build from their close-out sale, all I really need is a headset, wheels and cog which I will be sorting next week and I'm back on the trails for the first time since I sold my Dekerf Implant almost 2 years ago!

Woohoo!

Please can anyone advise on some good all-round tyres as I've kind of lost touch?...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Last week I got done building mine. I love the frame! But now I am thinking I need a 15. Chad is working with me to see if that is the way to go. Thus, I have not taken it out for a real ride. But so far it seems like a great bike. Oh, and per someone else's suggestion I ant with kenda small block tires.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DavidATX said:
Last week I got done building mine. I love the frame! But now I am thinking I need a 15. Chad is working with me to see if that is the way to go. Thus, I have not taken it out for a real ride. But so far it seems like a great bike. Oh, and per someone else's suggestion I ant with kenda small block tires.

Very nice! I've gone for a white frame with white forks. Wonder how the small blocks are in mud and stuff?...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Guys nice choice. I got my dillinger in the brushed clear coat last week. I am awaiting more parts to get the build going but the frame in the stand and awaitng parts. I will post a shot when it is done.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
As far as tires go, it is very dependent on terrain and conditions as well as riding style. I have Aspens on my SS and Ignitors on my FS (both are 29ers, SS is a Dillinger). The Ignitors are a great all around tire. Wet, dry, smooth, chunk, they are a solid tire. The Aspens are OK for all of the above, but are a lighter more XC type tire. Small blocks in my area are strictly dry hardpack tires, lousy when wet or muddy conditions. Since I am a bike "ho", I'll post mine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, I might regret the small blocks since there is a ton of clay and mud here (Houston)...but when it is dry it can be sandy. Also, I travel to Austin...really hoping to move back there...so maybe they will be better for central Texas.

I am really on the fence about the sizing issue. I have no standover with the 17", but my height is just at 5'9". my legs are short, inseam is just under 30" so I had to lower the seat to just even with the handlebars to get a good bend in my knees at the bottom of the pedal cadence. And I have very little bend in my elbows with a 100mm stem.

I had the idea that 15" would be better...I would be able to raise the seat a bit, go with maybe a 110" stem and I would have about an inch of standover.

I am conflicted to say the least as the bike is built and I don't want to cause a big hassle with Chad/SC.

Any sizing experts?

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
DavidATX said:
...I am really on the fence about the sizing issue. I have no standover with the 17", but my height is just at 5'9". my legs are short, inseam is just under 30" so I had to lower the seat to just even with the handlebars to get a good bend in my knees at the bottom of the pedal cadence. And I have very little bend in my elbows with a 100mm stem.
I had the idea that 15" would be better...I would be able to raise the seat a bit, go with maybe a 110" stem and I would have about an inch of standover.
I am conflicted to say the least as the bike is built and I don't want to cause a big hassle with Chad/SC.
Any sizing experts?
Not an expert, but in my opinion, you would be very unhappy with the 15". I am pushing 5'8" and ride a 17" Hooligan (my inseam is 29-30). I was a bit worried at first, but after I built it up and began riding, I knew I made the right choice. My FS is a 16, but my Hooligan fits me better. I actually have less back issues on my 17" Hooligan than my 16" FS. I attribute this to the better fit.
FWIW I use a setback seatpost and a 100mm stem w/flat bars.
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cool man. Yeah, I decided to keep the frame. I put a 90mm stem on it and so far so good. I have not had a chance to take it on a "real" ride yet, but it feels very comfortable. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's here!

Picked it up earlier today, can't believe how well made it is!

Here's a crappy iPhone pic but I will get some nice ones up when my Hope Hoops are collected tomorrow! :)

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, always wanted a white bike but have never had the opportunity so I went with it.

Should be picking the wheels up today although I'll be running it with a cassette until my CK lockring and spacers arrive...

·
Registered
853 Posts
I put a little over 20 miles on mine last night, including a hooker sighting, a tubeless, pumpless 29er dude with a flat that he couldn't fix (ended up having accept a 26" tube :) ), and endless, kick ass single track.

Damn, I love this bike.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a couple of better shots, I have made a ghetto SS conversion for the hub to make do whilst I wait for my CK kit to come but otherwise it's finished! :)

I'm going to make sure I get some nice outside shots as the inside ones definitely don't do it justice...

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Just J said:

I'm going to make sure I get some nice outside shots as the inside ones definitely don't do it justice...
Cool :cool: :thumbsup:
I'm glad SC kept the pearl white. I have a thing for white bikes :D

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
Nice!, I originally wanted the white as I already had a white Reba. Still, I love my green machine...and eventually swapped over my black Reba (and a bunch of other parts) from my FS to make it one sweet ride. ;)

Beautiful Bike!

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just took my little boy out in the trailer, and although it wasn't much of a test (well apart from hauling the extra weight!) the bike feels really nice and very comfortable which I didn't really expect from aluminium! Impressed! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.