Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a XC FS upgrade under $2500. I raced my first race this year with my Fisher hardtail and now I'm hooked. I would like to compete in 3 to 4 races a year. I am 6'1 175. I have read alot of posts on the different bikes and all of your advise seems very benificial. I live in Nothern Wisconsin so we have plenty of dense forest with alot of tight singletrack with roots and rocks, some sand. There are also plenty of short climbs and fast downhill spots. Here are my choices and I would appreciate any return advise

1) Giant NRS1
2) Specialized Stuntjumper
3) Turner Burner
4) Fisher Cake or Sugar Race
5) Trek Fuel
6) Titus X-racer

I like the small brands but there are no dealers in WI for Titus and Tuner so it would be special order. I first off wanted carbon, but now have setteld on a lightweight aluminum.I have had others tell me that if I crash with carbon there would be a greater probablity of frame damage then other materials, plus it my be to felxy. I would really rather demo the bike first. So of all of these what would be the best bike. What bike is probably the lightest? I'm going in today to ride a few and I'll repost an update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
goatboy said:
I'm looking for a XC FS upgrade under $2500. I raced my first race this year with my Fisher hardtail and now I'm hooked. I would like to compete in 3 to 4 races a year. I am 6'1 175. I have read alot of posts on the different bikes and all of your advise seems very benificial. I live in Nothern Wisconsin so we have plenty of dense forest with alot of tight singletrack with roots and rocks, some sand. There are also plenty of short climbs and fast downhill spots. Here are my choices and I would appreciate any return advise

1) Giant NRS1
2) Specialized Stuntjumper
3) Turner Burner
4) Fisher Cake or Sugar Race
5) Trek Fuel
6) Titus X-racer

For pure racing, I'd choose the Racer X or Trek Fuel. The new carbon Fuels are sweet and not flexy at all. Carbon frames scratch easier, but can take big blunt hits better than aluminum. YMMV.

If you want a bike as a trail bike that you can also race.....I'd go for the Turner Burner or Stumpjumper. I don't like the ride of the NRS and I'm not familiar with the Fisher models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I tested two bikes today, the first bike was the Fisher Cake2 DLX. That was a sweat riding bike. It went well over the rocks, logs, and roots with minimal forward momentum needed. I thought the 120mm shock was a bit on the plush side along with the 4.5 to 5" rear shock, but for fun factor the bike was awesome. The second bike was the NRS 3, this bike felt alot like my hardtail fisher, I didn't notice a drastic difference between the two. I perfer the geometry of my hardtail. The NRS just didn't feel right, but it was faster then the CAKE. I really wanted to like the bike and was upset that it wasn't for me. Maybe the NRS1 is alot better? All I can say is that I was smiling more on the Cake.

I told the LBS that the perfect bike for me would be right in the middle of the Cake and NRS; any suggestions? I was just happy that my LBS allowed me to take the bikes in the woods for a couple of hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
goatboy said:
Well I tested two bikes today, the first bike was the Fisher Cake2 DLX. That was a sweat riding bike. It went well over the rocks, logs, and roots with minimal forward momentum needed. I thought the 120mm shock was a bit on the plush side along with the 4.5 to 5" rear shock, but for fun factor the bike was awesome. The second bike was the NRS 3, this bike felt alot like my hardtail fisher, I didn't notice a drastic difference between the two. I perfer the geometry of my hardtail. The NRS just didn't feel right, but it was faster then the CAKE. I really wanted to like the bike and was upset that it wasn't for me. Maybe the NRS1 is alot better? All I can say is that I was smiling more on the Cake.

I told the LBS that the perfect bike for me would be right in the middle of the Cake and NRS; any suggestions? I was just happy that my LBS allowed me to take the bikes in the woods for a couple of hours.
I own the NRS1 and love it. I have already raced it at the 24 hour race in Snow Shoe, WV. It all comes down to what you want to do with the bike. If you are looking for a plush bike then you don't want the NRS1. After riding this bike for the past couple of months my handling, speed, and aggressiveness all have improved. Going up hills there is no bobbing and going down it gives you the comfort you need to fly down over rocks etc. It's a racing bike. Keep that in mind. The NRS1 has the feel of the hardtail but when it needs to kick in over rocks and technical downhills it won't let you down.

Depending on your budget the NRS1 is a great buy. I found mind at Performance Bikes for $1794.00. If I were you I would also take a look at the Specialized Epic.

If you really want to throw down some cash check out the Titus Racer X and the Ellsworth Truth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MrAnderson said:
I own the NRS1 and love it. I have already raced it at the 24 hour race in Snow Shoe, WV. It all comes down to what you want to do with the bike. If you are looking for a plush bike then you don't want the NRS1. After riding this bike for the past couple of months my handling, speed, and aggressiveness all have improved. Going up hills there is no bobbing and going down it gives you the comfort you need to fly down over rocks etc. It's a racing bike. Keep that in mind. The NRS1 has the feel of the hardtail but when it needs to kick in over rocks and technical downhills it won't let you down.

Depending on your budget the NRS1 is a great buy. I found mind at Performance Bikes for $1794.00. If I were you I would also take a look at the Specialized Epic.

If you really want to throw down some cash check out the Titus Racer X and the Ellsworth Truth.

I took the Epic and Stuntjumper out today, The LBS didn't want me to take it out in the woods, but I went to a local park where they had a huge hill and several concrete steps going back down. Out of the saddle and on the flats the bike pedaled like a hardtail. I really liked the performance of the Epic. I rode alot like a hardtail, but to get a true feel one has to take it offroading. I would like getting the marathon, but they are a bit pricy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
The Epic does feel stiff however once you hit that down hill with rocks and roots the suspension kicks in. My friend owns one and loves it. I would test ride as many bikes as you can.

Good Luck Shopping!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
goatboy said:
I'm looking for a XC FS upgrade under $2500. I raced my first race this year with my Fisher hardtail and now I'm hooked. I would like to compete in 3 to 4 races a year. I am 6'1 175. I have read alot of posts on the different bikes and all of your advise seems very benificial. I live in Nothern Wisconsin so we have plenty of dense forest with alot of tight singletrack with roots and rocks, some sand. There are also plenty of short climbs and fast downhill spots. Here are my choices and I would appreciate any return advise

1) Giant NRS1
2) Specialized Stuntjumper
3) Turner Burner
4) Fisher Cake or Sugar Race
5) Trek Fuel
6) Titus X-racer

I like the small brands but there are no dealers in WI for Titus and Tuner so it would be special order. I first off wanted carbon, but now have setteld on a lightweight aluminum.I have had others tell me that if I crash with carbon there would be a greater probablity of frame damage then other materials, plus it my be to felxy. I would really rather demo the bike first. So of all of these what would be the best bike. What bike is probably the lightest? I'm going in today to ride a few and I'll repost an update.
It sounds like the Sugar race would be a good bike for you. It is literally right between your hardtail and the cake, plus you get to continue with genesis geometry, specific to fisher. I've been riding an 01 sugar 2... with major upgrades, for the last couple of years. It is a great bike. Mine's a large and weighs about 24 lbs with discs. I weigh more than you, uchum, so weight shouldn't be an issue.

And I'll take this and any other opportunity to post a picture of my bike.

 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top