Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a little searching lately for a period correct set of Araya or Ukai's for my Klunker build. A little slow at work yesterday I decided to check the local Craigs list and have a look see. There was an 83 Stumpjumper Sport about 20 min away from my work so I called the lady and went over to take a look. Not quite one of the big 12 boutiques but came back to work with a dusty barely used piece of history. As far as I can tell, everything looks original except the grips,tires and possibly brake pads. Original owner, I can't imagine it was ever ridden hard. Now I need to decide if I wanna take the wheels off this for my other build or continue looking. Think this looks too nice to steal parts from. Hid it at work for now, I will have to slowly manuever it into my garage and hang it when nobody in the house is looking. Have to share here because nobody here at work really appreciates the history of this cool old bike cluttering my office. And don't worry Stan4 or any of you other Puget Sound lurkers, I only look at Craigslist about once a month.
Enjoy the weekend,
T

·
clunker
248 Posts
I can relate on sooo many levels ;-) can't tell you how many bikes and parts are "just holding them for xx and yy, honey!".

Keep looking for those 2.125 Ukais and keep the 7Xs on that Stumpy.

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
Yeah, I saw it, I was gonna jump on it but then saw it was a Sport (I already have one) so I passed. It's a nice looking ride though. Did you pay her asking price? She seemed somewhat negotiable. She said she had the original parts, did you get those too?

And please feel free to look more often...there's no more room at the HOOV's ;)

oops, just saw you got the parts...

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seller was very nice. Paid a bit less than asking price but still over a bennie. I am not really the negotiator type. If I like it and can afford it I buy it. Don't have the killer instinct, and would never make it as a flipper. Got all the parts except the original grips and tires. She didn't have them anymore. I have seen your list of bikes da'H and I would never get away with that many until we build on an addition. As it is now, I need to put up a couple of hooks in the garage and hide this one in between a few of the others.. My girlfriend is grumpy because her car has been parked outside through this snow and rain. All the Xmas stuff is still not put away and sitting on the garage floor. Between the snow and now flooding I haven't had any free time away from work (FedEx Mgr) to get it cleaned up. Now it's snowboard season and I will have the kids up at Alpental all weekend long. If I don't get that stuff into the attic by Sunday night, it will be a long week.

Thanks for leaving one of the local picks for me. Next time make it a Ritchey. Seriously if you need a quick look over on a bike in the Kent/Lake Tapps area shoot me a PM.
T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.