Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a 12" bike for my 3 year old boy. I was going to buy him a Redline today but he's still to short for a 16" bike. I want to keep him enthusiastic about riding (he's using a balance bike right now) so I want to find a decent "used" 12" hot rock or something comparable. If you have one that you'd be willing to sell / ship please pm me and let me know... No way my wife will go for spending $180 on a bike he'll use for maybe a year... (or does she need to know lol :D )

Thx

·
turtles make me hot
11,604 Posts
I was about to pipe up and tell you I have a bike, but I'm pretty sure it's got 16" wheels. It's a Schwinn Gremlin and it weighs a TON. No way my wife goes bike shopping alone again.
They must be cheap at Wal Mart.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I'd just buy a cheap walmart bike. The kid won't know the difference and will still have just as much fun. let the kid pick out the bike. At that age color and graphics are way more important then performance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maida7 said:
I'd just buy a cheap walmart bike. The kid won't know the difference and will still have just as much fun. let the kid pick out the bike. At that age color and graphics are way more important then performance.
Yea thats what we did with his push bike... I removed the cranks and pedals, we put them back on again together at his request but the pedaling angle to seat position is bizarre (the bike resembles a honda 50 dirtbike, not a normal bmx style)... 5 minutes later he was handing me a wrench and helping me tear the bike down again :lol: .

I'm just looking to get him something lighter than the 35 lb cast iron bikes at wallyworld... he likes the local skatepark and doing jumps... sure the $50 bike at walmart could work but I figured I'd see if someone had a hotrock or something similar sitting around their child had grown out of. They are considerably lighter... figured I'd give this post a week or so... if nothing pops up I'll probably buy him the hot rock or 12" haro...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Try your local LBS and ask if they do trade-ins. My local Specialized dealer will trade-in a kids bike that they've sold for the next size. If you can't find a trade-in, buy a new one and you'll save on the next purchase. I bought my daughter a 12" Hot Rock for $40 this way and just scored a 16" for $80.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

1 - 5 of 5 Posts