Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for some trail tires and have been reading reviews and talking with mechanics, I live in an area were the majority of trails are Intermediate to hardpack, with rock and loose rock, roots and a little mud(depending on time of year). For the front I was thinking of a Kenda Nevegal Stick-E in 2.5"[going on Manitou Circus Expert], and for the rear I was thinking of the Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E wire tire at 2.35". These will be hooked up on a 25.4mm bead[Inferno31's]. Does this seem like a good set for aggressive XC and some AM for Portland and some surrounding trails?

Thanks for reading,
-Mark

·
Formerly of Kent
13,329 Posts
That sounds like a combination for some terribly slow riding.

I lived in Hood River for two years. Rode all around PDX, Hood, Bend, etc., and I've never seen a situation where those tires would be appropriate.

Those are full on DH tires. Unless you're bombing down lift access trails at a bike park or doing nothing but shuttling, they are going to make life pretty miserable for anything other than the few screamer sections of trail in that area.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That sounds like a combination for some terribly slow riding.

I lived in Hood River for two years. Rode all around PDX, Hood, Bend, etc., and I've never seen a situation where those tires would be appropriate.

Those are full on DH tires. Unless you're bombing down lift access trails at a bike park or doing nothing but shuttling, they are going to make life pretty miserable for anything other than the few screamer sections of trail in that area.
Have suggestions for a rear tire for my area?

Edit: What about this; either the Blue Groove 2.35", or, the Nevegal 2.35"/2.5" up front and a Slant-6 2.35" on the rear? I want tires from Kenda, I need something up front for fast aggressive corning!

Edit2: Okay, this might be a good thing, I wont know till I have everything. I found at Bikesonline x2 2.35" Kenda Slant6 DTC, $48 for the pair. For $39, using a coupon, I was able to get a Blue Groove Stick-E in 2.35", now; otherwise I would have had to wait to 4/30 to get the Blue Groove in 2.5" for $46, not including shipping cost. I may get the BG in 2.5" later, but that depends on how the 2.3" BG works out on a 25.4mm bead.
Does this seem like the better option?

·
Formerly of Kent
13,329 Posts
Again, why do you want DH tires for what most people would consider light AM/rough XC terrain? Why Kenda?

Particularly with the summer approaching, and the "faucet" shutting off soon, why do you want/need a DH 2.5" in their tackiest compound?

That sounds like a recipe for incredibly boring, no-fun-at-all riding.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Depends on the conditions. While stick-e rolls relatively slower, on wet rocks the extra traction more than makes up for slips and slides on a lesser tire. I use nevs on technical trails where grip and traction outweigh rolling resistance.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

·
Formerly of Kent
13,329 Posts
Last post on this subject from me.

If you're riding anywhere east of Portland, Stick-E compounds are going to suck.

As in make riding miserable. Nobody uses those in Bend, Hood River, etc. Maybe, just maybe, there is a reason for that?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm on a hardtail, compared to DH bikes I'm going relatively slow anyways, I tend to take the HT down forested trails that have a bit of roots and loam.
Depends on the conditions. While stick-e rolls relatively slower, on wet rocks the extra traction more than makes up for slips and slides on a lesser tire. I use nevs on technical trails where grip and traction outweigh rolling resistance.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
So would the 2.3" Nev DTC be a better option for the front?

If you're riding anywhere east of Portland, Stick-E compounds are going to suck.Why?

As in make riding miserable. Nobody uses those in Bend, Hood River, etc. Maybe, just maybe, there is a reason for that?[what is "miserable", need better detail as to why some people don't use Stick-E for XC/AM in the NW?]
Tires and wheels would be swapped out for riding trails outside of the Portland area, I have K-Rads for city and Slant6 for the inner city trails/parks. Slant6 on the front has not done well in loose conditions on corners, on the back the Slant6 handles most everything, but not mud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.