Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
try driving your car less
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally flatted my original tubes. This past weekend is the short deer rifle season here so I stay out of the main woods and ride some less visited stuff... which means thorns. It's mostly a moto area. I know that next ride at Otis I will be picking up beer cans and Marlboro packs as I go... ban guns and give them bows... but that's another story.

So based on some info here and at the bike shop, I used pliers to remove the top nubbin on the presta valve and let the threaded rod drop into the tube, where I caught it. I squirted in some slime, and somehow got it all back together again by dropping the rod back out the valve and threading the nubbin back on. I inflated the tube and saw the slime patch the thorn holes. So that worked.

But the tube flatted again because the valve no longer holds air. It hisses and leaks. So I did something wrong there. I screwed the top nubbin thing back on, and then down the threaded rod like I would normally do. I don't really know what else to do.

Any help on what I did wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
I finally flatted my original tubes. This past weekend is the short deer rifle season here so I stay out of the main woods and ride some less visited stuff... which means thorns. It's mostly a moto area. I know that next ride at Otis I will be picking up beer cans and Marlboro packs as I go... ban guns and give them bows... but that's another story.

So based on some info here and at the bike shop, I used pliers to remove the top nubbin on the presta valve and let the threaded rod drop into the tube, where I caught it. I squirted in some slime, and somehow got it all back together again by dropping the rod back out the valve and threading the nubbin back on. I inflated the tube and saw the slime patch the thorn holes. So that worked.

But the tube flatted again because the valve no longer holds air. It hisses and leaks. So I did something wrong there. I screwed the top nubbin thing back on, and then down the threaded rod like I would normally do. I don't really know what else to do.

Any help on what I did wrong?
You may have got some of the Slime fiber in the valve seat or rubber seal. If you let the valve drop back in(catch it again) and pump some air in it will clean it out.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,818 Posts
I did this recently and it works really well. I used Stans and the injector thing on flatted tubes - made the hole bigger to get the injecor nozzle in and put about 1 ounce of stans goop in - then patched up with my wally-mart patch kit. Here in Colorado the goatheads are starting to blow in the wind and they are everywhere. Stan's (or truegoo, slime, etc) works great. I even put the stans in my road tubes as well - no goathead flats in a while!
 

·
try driving your car less
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drevil said:
I've never tried it myself, but I've heard of poking a small hole somewhere else on the tube to get the Goop nozzle in, then patching that hole with a good patch kit.
thanks. i have done this. i don't find patches to be very permanent, at least the ones I have used.

maybe i should wear colored lycra?
 

·
try driving your car less
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cgcharlie said:
You may have got some of the Slime fiber in the valve seat or rubber seal. If you let the valve drop back in(catch it again) and pump some air in it will clean it out.
Thanks! I will try that! My problem is that I dont have an aircompressor. I use a pump. It's tough to pinch, hold and pump with only 2 hands. Maybe I need a friend/enemy to help me.
 

·
try driving your car less
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any really major difference between Slime and Stans? I have some slime and want to use it up first. It's old, been in the basement for years. Is that bad? I want to use it up first. I like the looks of the Stans injector thingy. If I order some Stans I will get that, too.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
That may be the case. Slime is my least favorite sealant because those fibers tend to clog valve stems. Neither True Goo or Stans has fibers. Make sure the valve is as clean as you can get it. I've never had a problem with the valve holding air after I added sealant. Sorry about that.

C

cgcharlie said:
You may have got some of the Slime fiber in the valve seat or rubber seal. If you let the valve drop back in(catch it again) and pump some air in it will clean it out.
 

·
try driving your car less
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cava said:
That may be the case. Slime is my least favorite sealant because those fibers tend to clog valve stems. Neither True Goo or Stans has fibers. Make sure the valve is as clean as you can get it. I've never had a problem with the valve holding air after I added sealant. Sorry about that.

C
OK thanks. I will see if they have stans at the LBS. what's the homebrew recipe again? Maybe I have what I need in the basement?

It's like 1 part sterno and a pinch of magnesium, right?
 

·
veinte nueve pulgadas
Joined
·
419 Posts
amen

banks said:
Bontrager has tubes that already pre-injected with Slime
I was just about to say that. I use pre-slimed Bonty's. They are expensive, but they last. I did put a hole in one that didn't self-heal, but nothings perfect. I've been running a 26er tube in its place for quite some time now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Bontrager tubes have a removable valve stem. The top part will unscrew from the rest of the presta stem. Then using a Stan's injector you can put stans in the tube then just screw the top of the valve stem back on. With the bontrager tubes you don't have to mess with the actually presta tip/rod etc., in the middle of the stem it unscrews etc. That is what I do and it works really well. Hope this helps and I didn't repeat any info hahahaha, later.
 

·
try driving your car less
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
banks said:
not really.

Bonty Slime'd tube sell at $9.00
sorry to bug again, but are these in the QBP catalog? LBS doesnt do 29ers really so I want to give them the product number to order. or are they online somewhere? They are not on the bontrager.com website, which made the LBS doubt they exist.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top