Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone after puncturing my tube for the first time on my new bike I began to wonder and search a little bit at tubes. What I am looking for probably doesn't exist but I am sure alot of you out there have some opinions on the matter.

I am looking for tubes that are 1)Strong(I ride XC so thorn resistant is a plus) 2)As light as possible.

I was thinking of going with a set of 26in tubes but getting a set that are DH ones hoping that the increased strength won't add more weight than a normal 29in tube would be. Any thoughts? Are 26in DH tubes gonna be as strong and durable as a normal 29in tube? (My bike is a Fisher that came with the Cheng Jing(Sp?) 700x1.9(or something similar))

Last but not least can anyone make a suggest on a mail-order or online shop since the LBS around here are all chains that carry the same exact stuff?

·
Registered
660 Posts
GFisher2001 said:
Hello everyone after puncturing my tube for the first time on my new bike I began to wonder and search a little bit at tubes. What I am looking for probably doesn't exist but I am sure alot of you out there have some opinions on the matter.

I am looking for tubes that are 1)Strong(I ride XC so thorn resistant is a plus) 2)As light as possible.

I was thinking of going with a set of 26in tubes but getting a set that are DH ones hoping that the increased strength won't add more weight than a normal 29in tube would be. Any thoughts? Are 26in DH tubes gonna be as strong and durable as a normal 29in tube? (My bike is a Fisher that came with the Cheng Jing(Sp?) 700x1.9(or something similar))

Last but not least can anyone make a suggest on a mail-order or online shop since the LBS around here are all chains that carry the same exact stuff?
For general trail riding I like to fill my tubes with a couple ounces of sealant for a little puncture protection. You can either inject it through the valve stem or cut a small slit in the tube and patch it after you get it in there. You can also buy Slime tubes and I think TrueGoo sells pre-loaded tubes.
-jon

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
jlang002 said:
For general trail riding I like to fill my tubes with a couple ounces of sealant for a little puncture protection. You can either inject it through the valve stem or cut a small slit in the tube and patch it after you get it in there. You can also buy Slime tubes and I think TrueGoo sells pre-loaded tubes.
-jon
jonny, et. al.,

I was interested in doing this. Which method do you use (cut & patch or valve), and if the latter, is it a Presta? Also, which sealant do you use? Slime, Stans, etc.? How long does it last, i.e., does the sealant eventually dry up? Thanks all,

rickyd

·
Registered
145 Posts
A local rider here uses the Fix A Flat product in every new tube. He says it works well for him. I have no experience with it or how it actually works, but he likes it. I was under the impression that Fix a Flat filled a tire solid, but he tells it does not work that way.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use 26" Continental tubes. The Conti tubes have a removable presta valve core that makes adding Stans easy. I was using regular presta valve tubes screwing the brass nut off, dropping the valve core in the tube, catching it as it exited the stem inside the tube, filling with Stans and re assembling valve. That method worked well but, the removable cores are much easier.

With the Conti tubes you can add sealant w/ out removing tube or tire. Just deflate add stans air up and go. I add a little Stans every month or three, whenever I think about it.

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
GFisher2001 said:

the DH 26" tubes I've seen are VERY heavy and come in super large 2.5 sizes
they weight over 460 grams thats over a pound.

I have pretty good luck with Maxxis tubes that are called "ultralights" and weight right around 110 - 120 grams.(26")

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.