Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I am looking for the right bike for me. I want a bike that is lightweight enuff to go throught trails quick no problem and go up steep hills fast but that can take freeriding that I encounter on my trails. I don't need it to be able to do that much downhill because I don't do much of that only when it comes up on my trails. Any suggestions at all would help at all. I Might buy a bike already built or buy the parts seperately and build it myself so any completle bike suggestions or any parts suggestions will be very appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
A $4,000 budget gives you lots of options so you should have plenty from which to choose. Just went through the process myself, albeit on a more modest budget. I'm 6' tall and about 225 lbs so was looking for a solid bike (6+6 or 7+7) to do mostly aggressive trail riding but also some downhilling and freeriding. Looked seriously at the Banshee Chaparral, Devinci 8-Flat-8, Cannondale Gemini 2000, Norco Six, Santa Cruz Bullit, and Yeti ASX. The Norco Six is almost impossible to get and the 8-Flat-8 was nice but pretty heavy and seemed geared more much toward downhill. The rest are similar and are all very competent bikes. In the end, I simply couldn't justify spending $750 to $1,500 more for a Chap, Bullit, or ASX so bought the Gemini and am very satisfied so far. The only thing I've done is put some bigger tires on it (2.5 Kenda Nevegal on front and 2.35 on rear). The 2.35 High Rollers that come stock are nice for trail riding but measure much narrower than their size suggests and the low profile knobs don't provide enough traction for my riding. The Nevs measure true to size and with them and the stock suspension (tuned correctly), the Gemini is pretty much "point and shoot". Simply runs over anything in its path yet allows me to stay in control. Has definitely improved my riding. Everyone who rides it is suprised at how light it is and how easily it pedals. Hope this helps . . . good luck with your decision.

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
I have to agree...

nitro1636 said:
any of those bikes are good ones and i thought i would suggest the 05 specialized sx trail. I dont have any specs on it since its new but it looks like a freeride bike without some of the weight
I actually got ahold of the 2005 Dealer catalog the other day, and I would have to say that would be the bike to have for what you want to do. Under $4K as well, not by much...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Jacques12345 said:
Hey! I am looking for the right bike for me. I want a bike that is lightweight enuff to go throught trails quick no problem and go up steep hills fast but that can take freeriding that I encounter on my trails. I don't need it to be able to do that much downhill because I don't do much of that only when it comes up on my trails. Any suggestions at all would help at all. I Might buy a bike already built or buy the parts seperately and build it myself so any completle bike suggestions or any parts suggestions will be very appreciated. Thanks!
no way bro. there is no bike that goes "up steep hills fast" and freerides.`to climb steep hills fast requires a bike under a certain weight (like 32 lbs but in reality lower than that) and good freeride bikes start at 34-35 lbs. if its light freeriding your doing (4-6ft drops, easy doubles, basic bridges and such) then go 32lbs and under. a heckler would fit do that job nicely. if its real freeriding (med and large doubles, drops aver 8ft, skinnies, techincal riding, etc) get a bike like the yeti asx or banshee chaparral. 5x5, 6x6 or 7x7 is a choice that you will have to make based on your riding level and your intended target weight for the bike. the 5x5 heckler will weigh about 32-35 lbs while the 6x6 chap and 7x7 yeti will weigh 38-41 lbs. a good freerider would not abuse a heckler as his freeride rig just to be able to climb well so keep that in mind. he would choose a burlier ride that stayed together longer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can the gemini take some freeride also?

and

The specialized has a downhill frame, it looks more aggresive then what I need. I am looking towards a regular trail bike but that can take some freeride as oppose to a downhill/freeride bike thats light enuff for trails.

I will be looking into both of them thought. Do you guys have any other suggestions as to wich bike or parts to get? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey! Great information. I really don't do more then 8 feet jumps. I'm more of an aggresive trail rider that freerides here and there when I encounter jumps on my trail but never very high. I don't think I do jumps more then 6 feet so wich is why I need a lightweight bike for my regular trail riding but that can take some hits for when I encounter jumps on my trails. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Jacques12345 said:
Hey! Great information. I really don't do more then 8 feet jumps. I'm more of an aggresive trail rider that freerides here and there when I encounter jumps on my trail but never very high. I don't think I do jumps more then 6 feet so wich is why I need a lightweight bike for my regular trail riding but that can take some hits for when I encounter jumps on my trails. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
trust me and get a trail bike built a little burly, like a santa cruz heckler built up 32-35 lbs. your not freeriding yet just hitting hips on the trail and such. get a heckler or something similar and really learn to ride that bike. you will know when you need a real freeride bike. your skills will improve and one day you will know.

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Ok

Jacques12345 said:
Can the gemini take some freeride also?

and

The specialized has a downhill frame, it looks more aggresive then what I need. I am looking towards a regular trail bike but that can take some freeride as oppose to a downhill/freeride bike thats light enuff for trails.

I will be looking into both of them thought. Do you guys have any other suggestions as to wich bike or parts to get? Thanks in advance
Well I have both a Specialized Big Hit, and an Enduro, and for what you described I would say Enduro.

Weight dfference? My Enduro = 28lbs My BigHit = 48lbs...no way I want to take the BH on a trailride...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey! Yes thats what I need a trail bike beefed up a bit to be able to take some hits, but I do do the occasional jump, I do freeride when I encounter it on my trails so I need it to be strong enuff to take it when I do some. The santacruz heckler is not a bad idea and 32-35 pounds is acceptable. Do you have any other suggestions, maybe with 8" rotors and a single crown fork?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Jacques12345 said:
Hey! Yes thats what I need a trail bike beefed up a bit to be able to take some hits, but I do do the occasional jump, I do freeride when I encounter it on my trails so I need it to be strong enuff to take it when I do some. The santacruz heckler is not a bad idea and 32-35 pounds is acceptable. Do you have any other suggestions, maybe with 8" rotors and a single crown fork?
you know it. 8" rotors, 05 z1 fork, xt drivetrain, rims no weaker than sun ryno lite, good strong aluminum riser bar, 60mm stem, flat pedals, qr seat collar, dh seat, dh tires (at least the front, like a 2.5 maxxis minion. you could get away with a lighter rear tire but it must be at least a 2.35). ride that setup like a zillion miles. i know it sounds too freeridish but trust me it will give you a better cockpit to learn freeriding from. when you get a longer travel bike it wont feel funky. after a month or so i doubt you would want to switch back to a cockpit/setup that climbs better. with trail bike 2.35 rear tire the heckler would weigh about 34 lbs in above described build. imo perfect.

if you want to cut weight at that point go with:
stans tubeless
wellgo magnesium flat pedals
foam grips
thomson post
xt cranks
titec berzerker saddle (if you can find any)

dont cut weight at bar, fork, rims and front tire. it will turn the bike right back into a regular trail bike.

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
no.....just build it up differently. Santa Cruz offers about a bujillion build kits, and only one or two have double crowns, and I'm sure you could get an 8" rotor. I say definitely get the heckler, and since you have a good chunk of $ to spend, build it up with light and strong parts. That sounds perfect for your situation.
I was in almost your same dilemna, but I FR more than XC, and I had to spend as very little as possible. I got the Kona coiler, and being only 115 lbs, it holds up to everything i do to it and more. But why eat hamburger when you can have steak? Go for the heckler.

·
Registered
379 Posts
For that kind of cash, I'd go with a custom spec'd

Jacques12345 said:
Banshee Chaparral with a Marzocchi Z150SL and a set of Mavic EX823 laced to Chris King or Hadley hubs. It will weigh in around 34-36 lbs. with a set of Hope Mono 6ti disk brakes depending on what other components you put on the frame. This frame is a tad on the burlier (meaning heavier), but it peddles very well. I use it as my all around bike and can go anywhere with it that I take my Klein hardtail. Keep in mind I am no monster peddler either. I'm only 5' 6"/130 lbs. with gear.

This setup should easily handle anything you plan on doing with it and more.

Duc

·
Registered
302 Posts
Keep in mind the Specialized Enduro SX Trail. It seems to look like the perfect bike for what you want. It should be out in a couple of weeks. Specialized is a great brand to go with. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.