Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheap, Light, and Durable.

Oh that's only 3.

Buidling up a spare wheel/trainer wheel and looking to keep the budget strictly in check.

I'm thinking a Disc compat hub that can use rim brakes. (So it can be used on any of the bikes in a pinch).

How are the XT's? Any other alternatives?

My thoughts currently are:
XT disc rear hub, WS double butted spokes, and some 450g rim. I know it's falling off the bandwagon in the weight department, but should be ok with durability and price.

I'd love for a WTB rear laced to a Bonti Valiant or Mustang, but don't think that's in the budget currently.

Don't know if I'll build it myself or shop E-Bay for a prebuilt yet. Any suggestions welcome and wanted.

JmZ

·
Registered
543 Posts
hope xc's are supposed to be really good, jensonusa has the rear ones for $129.

I hate hubs with loose bearings, so I steer clear of shimanos altogether. plus they have dodgy freehubs.

- Joel

·
Old School Member
124 Posts
Most of the XT Disc hubs are not light. My guess would be a Hugi 240 rebadge (used if you can find it), like the Hayes Superlight I think they called them. I think there was a specialized as well. Sometimes people don't know what they are selling and you get a deal. The 240's are light, pretty easy to work on and durable when properly serviced.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got one set of the Hayes already

Coolhand said:
Most of the XT Disc hubs are not light. My guess would be a Hugi 240 rebadge (used if you can find it), like the Hayes Superlight I think they called them. I think there was a specialized as well. Sometimes people don't know what they are selling and you get a deal. The 240's are light, pretty easy to work on and durable when properly serviced.
Back when Pricepoint was clearing 'em out. Built that up for the dualie. Seems everyone has figured that one out by now. $150 for the set wasn't bad at all. Just have not seen anything close to that recently. I'm hoping to keep this wheel to under $100, with a LX hub it seems possible, with a lighter weight disc hub... that's not as easy.

I know there were Rolf's, Bonti's, Hayes, Specialized, and Maguras too. Don't know if they were all availble with disc though.

JmZ

·
Registered
938 Posts
I got a set of XT disc hubs last winter

for about 70 bucks. I think it was from cambria. Price point had great prices on mavic rims back then too. I think I got 317's for ~40 each. Personally, I've had no problems with the shimano hubs I've owned, and don't worry too much about the weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts