Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Have a great ride!
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a bike soon and I want to get into DH/Freeride mountain biking. Its fun and see ms like a good way to get my adrenaline pumpin. I grew up riding a bicycle, making small ramps and jumping it but after I turned 16 I pretty much stopped riding bikes(im 24 now). Ive always played sports and been an athletic guy and ive always believed in good form and technique. So for the type of riding I want to do I dont really know what type of form and technique I should have for doin things like goin of big jumps, drops, ridin skinnies, basically the stuff you do freeriding. If anybody has any good ways to practice certain techniques that would be helpful too. Im basically looking for things like where my focus should be, body and feet position, when to shift my weight when not to shift my weight. I wanna get to the point where I can just ride and react to situations and not have to think about what I should do and just go off of adrenaline. Well any tips for training for technique would be much appreciated, thanks guys.

·
brake later, pedal sooner
813 Posts
1. stay relaxed and loose - let the bike do the work.. this means bent knees, elbows out
2. look ahead to where you are going/want to go, dont target fixate. where you look is where you go.
3. have big balls and go for it, don't use the brakes - 99% of the time brakes = fail.
4. heavy feet, light hands
5. committment - this goes along with the 'no brakes' tip
6. watch videos of pro DH riders / freeriders and study their body language
7. practice/ride !!!!!!!!

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Suggested Reading/Viewing!

Lowkey1505 said:
Im getting a bike soon and I want to get into DH/Freeride mountain biking. Its fun and see ms like a good way to get my adrenaline pumpin. I grew up riding a bicycle, making small ramps and jumping it but after I turned 16 I pretty much stopped riding bikes(im 24 now). Ive always played sports and been an athletic guy and ive always believed in good form and technique. So for the type of riding I want to do I dont really know what type of form and technique I should have for doin things like goin of big jumps, drops, ridin skinnies, basically the stuff you do freeriding. If anybody has any good ways to practice certain techniques that would be helpful too. Im basically looking for things like where my focus should be, body and feet position, when to shift my weight when not to shift my weight. I wanna get to the point where I can just ride and react to situations and not have to think about what I should do and just go off of adrenaline. Well any tips for training for technique would be much appreciated, thanks guys.
Hi Mr. 1505,

When I was starting to learn freeride technique I didn't have the benefit of available instruction or experienced friends. Additionally, I'm ancient, without talent and didn't start riding jumps/drops/stunts until a few years ago. You have the obvious advantage of youth and, from your comments, athletic talent as well so if I can pick it up I'm sure that you'll quickly succeed.

All that said the following resources helped me immensely and I highly recommend that you buy, watch/read and memorize their content:

Mastering Mountain Bike Skills - 2nd Edition by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Moun...8524130&sr=1-1

West Coast Style Freeride Fundamentals - A Mountain Bike DVD
https://www.westcoaststyle.net/xcart...1&cat=1&page=1

Fluidride: Like A Pro Instructional Video
http://fluidride.com/fluidride-like-a-pro/

Finally, I believe that wearing armor will allow your body to absorb more of the inevitable lessons you'll learn from falling.

I hope you continue to get better, have fun and be safe!

Michael:thumbsup:

PS
You mentioned building ramps when you were riding so I thought I'd include this shot of me on a 5.5 foot drop I built in my back yard:
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Mountain bike

·
Have a great ride!
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats for the resources and advice Michael, great pic! Ill be checkin all that stuff out! What kinda footwear are people using when they ride?

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Lowkey1505 said:
.....What kinda footwear are people using when they ride?
Hi again,

I believe it's safe to say that, of those that favor flat pedals, the majority of us are using Five Ten Freeride shoes of one model or the other. I prefer the Impact High but I always choose form defined by function over style. ;)

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/27-impact-high

YMMV!

Take care, have fun, be safe!

Michael:thumbsup:

·
18 years old
632 Posts
I may have a simpler approach to things...ride every type of bike you can, as often as you can. Go to a BMX track. You'll learn when to push down and when to pull up. Ride a road bike, you'll learn how to send as much power as you can to the wheel. Ride a cross-country bike, you'll learn how to manage with what ya got ;-)

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Make sure when your friends heckle you to say "suck my ballz" and then go huck some super steezy.

And I hear matching Troy Lee pajamas make you faster.

·
Have a great ride!
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To bad none of the betterride camps are in Oregon, Im definately gettin the fluidride DVD. I've had a few good rides on my heckler so far, havent crashed hard yet, just fell over backwards trying to manual lol luckily nobody saw me do it.

·
Underskilled
4,807 Posts
Two VERY important tips.

1: ride with someone with more skill than you and ask them to watch you.

2: video yourself - You are generally not doing what you think.

1: I can't do, this sucks.
2: When my wife videoed me I did not realise I am actually quite high on the bike, when I thought my weight was low.

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,873 Posts
CaveGiant said:
Two VERY important tips.

1: ride with someone with more skill than you and ask them to watch you.
ah, because you can't find anyone with more skill right? sucks. I know the feeling. :)

seriously, some more props for the fluidride guys. brilliant video. for some other options check out Ned Overend. Definitely NOT DH/Freeride, but the guy has mad fundamental skills and he's a good teacher. Also, I'm not sure if he's doing it anymore but Shaums March ran a 4 day skills clinic that I attended. do a search for mad march racing. Live instruction really was the best 4 days I ever spent on a bike. the lessons are still in my head at every ride. Gene's course would be awesome I'm sure. Enjoy the learning process too. Reaching those early milestones with your friends is some of the most fun you'll ever have on a bike. Welcome to the group.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.