Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
i'm schralping yer thread
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading down from Seattle to Tahoe this weekend for the next two weeks (8/1-8/14) and I'm looking for a ride group. I've been vacationing down there with family for the past 6 summers or so near Tahoe City and I'm tired of solo riding all the time. I've done a bunch of the standards: flume, tahoe meadows, hole-in-the-ground, toads, etc.; but I'd like to find some new stuff as well.

I'm up for some distance/technicality and I don't mind a 4000' climb if there's a payoff. I've done a little bit of racing (mostly 24hr team stuff); but mostly I just like to ride and bs.

Anyone willing to put up with a tourist tag-along? I'd bring beer...

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Bummer, I'm leaving for Tahoe on Sunday and will be there for 4 days. The problem is, I'm recovering from throwing out my back and I haven't ridden in almost 3 weeks and have no idea if I'll be able to ride when I get to Tahoe. I'm bring the bike though.

george

·
Registered
19 Posts
GeePhro:

I am a local who lives in Truckee and works in Ttahoe City. I would be willing to show you some new rides. I try and ride every tuesday and thursday. The wife has a womens group on mondays and wednesday.

Maybe meet after work around 4:30 or 5:00. Gotta pay the mortgage ya know!!!

Have a great vacation.

·
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TruckeeRider said:
I am a local who lives in Truckee and works in Ttahoe City. I would be willing to show you some new rides. I try and ride every tuesday and thursday.
Sounds great! I'm staying right up the hill at Dollar Point near the 7-11. I'll pm you my cell #.

·
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bigboulder said:
Definatley show up for the IMBA rides at Grouse Ridge...45 minutes from Tahoe City if you like technical challenges....
I've never ridden up there before...I checked out the IMBA and BONC sites but couldn't find much about the actual ride. Do you know it?

·
Registered
710 Posts
GeePhroh said:
I've never ridden up there before...I checked out the IMBA and BONC sites but couldn't find much about the actual ride. Do you know it?
Check http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=38360 for more info. Although not much more. I've ridden some up there and plan to join this ride. The lookout is a great place to camp too, except for when your neighbors blast Norah Jones at full volume for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
GeePhroh said:
Sounds great! I'm staying right up the hill at Dollar Point near the 7-11. I'll pm you my cell #.
My office is at the base of Dollar Point...

·
Registered
19 Posts
derek said:
Check http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=38360 for more info. Although not much more. I've ridden some up there and plan to join this ride. The lookout is a great place to camp too, except for when your neighbors blast Norah Jones at full volume for a couple of hours.
Would love to join this ride but am currently pretty booked this weekend. Kid stuff locally so will be doing some local rides here in the basin.

Maybe next time...

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
GeePhroh said:
We're staying right behind the 7-11on Observation Dr. from August 12-15th. Some great riding begins right across from 7-11 at either the high school or farther up the rode slightly to the right then left at the North Tahoe XC Center. From these trails you can access the TRT, Missing Link, WS's,etc. On the 14th there will be a big group ride from Mt Rose Hwy towards the Flume, around, and back if you'd like to join us. Not sure the rest of the schedule yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ebo said:
We're staying right behind the 7-11on Observation Dr. from August 12-15th. Some great riding begins right across from 7-11 at either the high school or farther up the rode slightly to the right then left at the North Tahoe XC Center. From these trails you can access the TRT, Missing Link, WS's,etc. On the 14th there will be a big group ride from Mt Rose Hwy towards the Flume, around, and back if you'd like to join us. Not sure the rest of the schedule yet.
I just replaced a waterline in Observation Drive last summer. So I know the area well. There are some great access points off of Hwy 89 as well that take you to some killer single track if you know the area.

·
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ebo said:
That's pretty weird...I'm staying on Observation as well. About a block from the firestation.

I know that area well (though none of the actual trail names). A couple of summers ago I got a little lost and ended up dropping down into Northstar -- lots of fun going down; but not so much going back up.

That Mt. Rose rides is one of my favorites. I'm definitely all over that...

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
TruckeeRider said:
I just replaced a waterline in Observation Drive last summer. So I know the area well. There are some great access points off of Hwy 89 as well that take you to some killer single track if you know the area.
We have been renting this cabin for about 12 years now. Right across for the cabana club. I first started riding this area about 10 years ago while working in the area. It's certainly a maze of trails down low and took a bit of exploring to figure out where everything went. Not sure what the address is, but it is light blueish/gray. Stop by for a brew.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
GeePhroh said:
That's pretty weird...I'm staying on Observation as well. About a block from the firestation.

I know that area well (though none of the actual trail names). A couple of summers ago I got a little lost and ended up dropping down into Northstar -- lots of fun going down; but not so much going back up.

That Mt. Rose rides is one of my favorites. I'm definitely all over that...
I also dropped into Northstar by mistake. Anyways, were staying right across from the cabana club, exactly behind 7-11. Stop by. It's our annual guy's trip. Lots of riding, lots of partying.

·
Registered
710 Posts
TruckeeRider said:
Would love to join this ride but am currently pretty booked this weekend. Kid stuff locally so will be doing some local rides here in the basin.

Maybe next time...
Well, the ride is next weekend August 7th and 8th. So clear the plans and come on the ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ebo said:
Ebo:

Don't forget that the Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel Creek section of the TRT is closed to bikes on weekends and only open on even days during the week. At least that was the last bit of info I have heard locally. Otherwise have loads of fun. That section is awesome single track with great views down to Washoe Valley.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
TruckeeRider said:
Ebo:

Don't forget that the Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel Creek section of the TRT is closed to bikes on weekends and only open on even days during the week. At least that was the last bit of info I have heard locally. Otherwise have loads of fun. That section is awesome single track with great views down to Washoe Valley.

Enjoy!!!
I checked the TRT website and they don't mention anything about weekends. Just that even numbered dates of the calendar are open to bikes. I hope this is still true. We have abided by this rule and have changed riding plans because of it. This 8 mile section is all you say it is. Some good technical rock sections, as well as good cruising in others. Reminds me of parts of the Spooner to Kingsbury. Lots of fun.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,242 Posts
I'm in the same boat (sort of)

I just posted a thread along the same lines ( Titled "looking for riding buddies in Tahoe/Truckee") before I read this one. I am sort of in the same boat, but I am living here now. I am working my own part time hours for the next few weeks before work really starts, so I have a bit of flexibility and time to ride. I don't know the area anywhere near as well as anyone else here, but I know a few rides at this point. I live over in Norden on top of Donner Pass Road. Check out my post and contact me if you want to ride.

Thanks
Jeff

GeePhroh said:
I'm heading down from Seattle to Tahoe this weekend for the next two weeks (8/1-8/14) and I'm looking for a ride group. I've been vacationing down there with family for the past 6 summers or so near Tahoe City and I'm tired of solo riding all the time. I've done a bunch of the standards: flume, tahoe meadows, hole-in-the-ground, toads, etc.; but I'd like to find some new stuff as well.

I'm up for some distance/technicality and I don't mind a 4000' climb if there's a payoff. I've done a little bit of racing (mostly 24hr team stuff); but mostly I just like to ride and bs.

Anyone willing to put up with a tourist tag-along? I'd bring beer...

·
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kapusta said:
I just posted a thread along the same lines ( Titled "looking for riding buddies in Tahoe/Truckee") before I read this one. I am sort of in the same boat, but I am living here now. I am working my own part time hours for the next few weeks before work really starts, so I have a bit of flexibility and time to ride. I don't know the area anywhere near as well as anyone else here, but I know a few rides at this point. I live over in Norden on top of Donner Pass Road. Check out my post and contact me if you want to ride.
Cool. I just got in last night -- still recovering from the drive and trying to adjust to the altitude; but I should be up to it by tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.