Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Giant Trance X0 29er last fall and overall I am impressed with the bike. I do however feel the front fork is underwhelming compared to the rest of the bike. The information of the fork is as follows

Fox 32 Float 29 FIT CTD w/ 15QR thru-axle, tapered, 120mm Travel.

Sense the rear of the bike has 130mm of travel I would like to see what can be done on the front. I read a post on this site(can't find it again) where an individual had changed a clip position internally and converted the fork to have 130mm of travel. Does anybody have information and or pictures on how this is performed? There was also talk of shimming and changing to a higher viscosity oil for improved performance...again is there any more info or experiences?

So, short of putting a Pike or Fox 34 on this bike what can or should I do to get better performance out of the Fox 32?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Just increasing the travel won't necessarily improve performance.
Also, not sure that fork can easily be increased in travel just by removing spacers.
See the blurb from FOX:

2002-2012 & 2013 80 - 120 FLOAT/F-Series Travel Adjust

Where is the performance lacking?
Too much flex? Not enough adjustment from the damper? Damper adjustments don't do anything?
If all you want is more travel that's one thing, but if you're having issues elsewhere, what are they?

The FIT damper is a good damper and you should be able to improve the ride between the compression adjustments, rebound adjustments, and PSI.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Fox recalled some of the 2013 CTD forks, if yours is listed you might get the damper and air chamber updated to 2014 spec (I'm not sure of the details and possible costs though).

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More travel would be nice. I can't seem to get the suspension set up correctly. If I put enough air in to counter the break dive then it bounces me around horribly and only uses a portion of the travel. On the other hand, even set to 20% sag, I blow through the travel on flat, rocky trails(an occasional root or 2-3" rock) and it falls on it's face in corners and breaking. The other gripe I have is it is flexy but I realize it is a 32mm fork. I am 6' 240lb with gear and don't huck this bike off of drops. Small bump compliance feels good but that's about as far as I can get with making it feel "dialed"

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
You're exactly my size.
32 forks are noodles for me. Way too much flex.
Low speed compression will tune out brake dive.
The CTD adjustments are just low speed compression adjustments. Try the TRAIL setting with 1/2/3 clicks of adjustment and see how that feels. TRAIL with 2 clicks should tune out brake dive if PSI is correct.
Descend will be "wide open"-no additional low speed damping. You'll blow through travel when cornering or in low speed chunk in DESCEND. Try riding in the TRAIL setting most of the time if you aren't doing it already.
Also, slow your rebound a bit to calm down the "bounce" you describe.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate your input, especially that we are the same size and all I value your information!

I have been running the fork in trail mode the past few rides and it has made a difference. I am not following the 1/2/3 click adjustment recommendation, can you elaborate?

How much PSI are you running or do you suggest? I will have to check my notes but I think it currently is at 100psi. I will definitely slow the rebound down tomorrow for my pre-dawn before work ride.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Do you see a black dial on the fork below the CTD adjustments that says "trail adjust"?
If so, you have three additional compression settings in the TRAIL mode.
If not, then you just have the 3 main CTD settings-DESCEND, TRAIL, CLIMB.
Not sure about the adjustments on all FIT forks, but I think some came with the FIT damper, CTD, but no addiotnal TRAIL adjust settings.
Either way, TRAIL is where you should be most of the time as it has more low speed compression damping than the DESCEND setting.
PSI can be all over the place depending on riding style, position on the bike, etc.
I run FOX 36 forks, haven't been on a 32 in years. I run my suspension pretty stiff. Can't give you much advise on PSI and sag other than try your fork at 20-30% sag in the "attack" position-that's you out of the saddle and weighting the front end. See what you think there.
I have very little sag in my front fork when seated.
The rebound setting can have a tremendous impact on how your fork behaves at speed and in different terrain and soil conditions. Try a few clicks slower than you are running now and see what you think.

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
966 Posts
I recommend you to make the spring more progressive by adding some Float Fluid to air chamber. I just recently did it (http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...n-one-safely-put-into-air-chamber-906320.html) and it is much better now. Without extra oil in air chamber I bottomed out all the time. If I added enough air it was really harsh. I'm 230lbs with gear and fork is from 2013 - supposedly 2014 forks are better.

The procedure itself is quite simple. This page has the necessary steps:

FLOAT R

First do the "Remove the Air Topcap" part, Step 7 from "Install the 32 mm Air Spring and Lower Assembly" part shows how to add Float Fluid. Finally part "Install the Air Topcap" shows how to put it back the together. It takes 5 minutes max. If you want to do it properly you need torque wrench and grinded down 26 socket though.

Add one packet at time and test ride. If you add too much you can suck the extra fluid out with syringe.

I found 15ml total (i.e. two extra packets of Float Fluid) best for my riding.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Norman Clydesdale - I confirmed mine does not have the additional Trail adjustments, just the CTD for the Fit damper. I messed with the rebound setting and two clicks lower than where I was at feels much better, thanks. I am going to mess with the PSI next ride, this one was a quick run at daylight to test the Minion DHF 2.5 and play with the rebound...both were awesome!

@arnea - Thank you for the links, I will give that a try as well.

My other thought was to have Push rebuild in next time it needs service but then I still have a 32mm flexy fork....I have been saving for a Pike or 34 but the X-Fusion Trace has really caught my attention.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
I was going to suggest speeding up the rebound red knob. Turn it till it stops and then count off the number of clicks until stops. Then count off half of the clicks and make a mental note that this is your half way point. Then, using the red sticker on the back of the fork leg, Turn the red knob 2 to 3 clicks fast or (+). Another option is having the fork tuned for your weight by PUSH.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jrm, I was running the rebound in the middle of the click range before. I went two clicks - this morning and it felt better. Thanks for the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts