Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Holy Land Rider.
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
i am looking for upgrading my GF paragon 08 i'd like to take the edge off.
so i am posting this thread.

my budget is as follows:
handlebars (riser) around 100$
seatpost (27.2) around 50$

I can bare with small deviations in prices.

thank you all in advance
Tal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
EC 70 and Thomson

I ride a GF Rig Rigid and use a Easton Carbon Bar with an aluminum stem. This combo has given me 0 problems after a couple years of hard riding and racing...

I wouldn't go with a carbon seatpost because the Thomson brand posts are the best - once you set it up it is rock solid and just a light as the carbon posts. I find the 29er wheels take the edge off and in the really bumpy stuff - I am not sitting for anyway....

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
No carbon seat post.
Try a Ti one. Made my already not too harsh redline steel frame lots more comfortable.

Thomson are great, but I never found them to give any sort of cush.

·
Registered
204 Posts
watch on ebay, you can get in the some bontrager xlite stuff or easton ec70, or fsa k force, all nice stuff for the money,, cant go wrong with any of it, the Thomson post will be close in weight unless u go with a masterpeice$$$ then it will be lighter, but a 27.2 carbon post will take the edge off over an alum one..

·
Future Rainbow Jersey
449 Posts
I run an EC70 carbon post with no problems, though I only weigh 155 lbs. It does provide some degree of comfort and it is light. It does take a bit more care than a conventional aluminum seatpost (e.g. you have to keep the the seat tube and post clean of debris so that the seat doesn't slip on you and you have to be more carful not to ham-fist the clamp, though the clamping area is reinforced significantly). It depends on how much you weigh and how you ride. I find at my weight, the post handles pretty much all XC duty for where I ride.

I've seen a lot deals out there on the EC70 stuff (both handlebars and seatposts). You can pay less than $100 for the bars, but you'll pay a bit more than $50 for the post (I just saw an EC70 post for $89).

Titanium is probably wonderful, but very expensive. Thomson makes awesome stuff, but it is still aluminum.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I am the same weight and riding style. I trust my Bontrager Race X Lite ACC alum/carbon combo post and their RXL carbon bar on my FS bike. Have a Ritchey carbon post on my SS that seems to be doing well too although the adjustability is not as fine as the Bonty post.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have a Monkeylite XC bar and a Monkeylite SL bar on my two bikes and neither have given me any problems. XC is about $120 and SL is about $140 although blueskycycling.com had some sweet deals on the XC's about a week ago. I think they were down to $89 or something like that. Awesome bars, strong and lighter than the box they come in.

No post info except that I'm scared of a carbon post. I use a carbon bar and fork on my SS but for some reason (maybe the quick release clamp and how tight i like my qr's) I'm still scared of a carbon seatpost. Thomson's are great!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm also using an easton Monkey Light XC on my Monocog Flight (rigid) and have had no problems... I use an old Cervelo carbon seatpost and that's been fine as well... it's light and had pretty thick walls. I tend to spend a lot of time out of the saddle anyway but I still check the seatpost regularly for cracks and any deformation ... Thompson's are tough and light...

I had an old Easton carbon post and it has started to deform due to over-tightening of the seatclamp - my own fault... (the carbon was bulging out the slot in the seat tube) - so I was retiring it and I decided to take it into a local shop and see what it would take to get the thing to fail... We put it in the vice and just kept cranking on the thing until it was ovalized and most of the scary cracking and snapping sounds had stopped. I then tried to bend it and it wouldn't budge... I know carbon scares lots of folks - but after trying to get this to fail catastrophically and not having any success - I'll just say that I'm OK with carbon.

Oh yeah, there's deal on the Easton bars [email protected] Blue Sky cycling
S

·
Registered
155 Posts
Johnny Chicken Bones said:
Wide, light, 12 degree sweep, 31.8 clamp, ti weave at the clamp.
I love mine.
Syntace Vector 31.8 carbon.
+1 on the Syntace Vectors. I have the 25.4 version and they're a big improvement over the Easton EA70's I had. The sweep is enough to be noticeable but not enough to be noticeable - if that makes sense. The quality is excellent (ie what you expect from German engineering) and they look great, especially with the Ti mesh and an open face stem like the Syntace F99. Mine cost about 70 bones new on the Bay.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
since you have a single speed - the Easton Monkey Lite XC is compatible with bar ends.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
talknopf said:
my paragon is geared :)
i wish i was ready for SS.
but not yet :)
:eek: oops, you're right. The poster below you has the Rig - that's all I remembered when I got to the bottom....:skep:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.