Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Chisel and I am looking at what I want to upgrade. The base mosel has the house brand Stout Pro cranks and the Comp has the Shimano SLX cranks. I was going to put XT cranks on mine but I wanted to know more about them before I just put something on. I am lookibg dor something to lose some weight as well as be a performance improvement without sacrificing durability. I may also want to do a Oval chainring as well. Anyone have any info on this crankset? I cannot find much at all.

· Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps outlining what you don't like with your cranks and why you want to upgrade might help with what you're seeking.
Well, you don't know what you don't know right? I'm just Coming back to my biking after a 30 year break. 2 years ago I got a Rockhopper Comp 1x. Before that I last rode in the 90s. A year ago if you asked me what I disliked about the Rockhopper Comp, I would have said nothing. Now I realize how much better the Shimano 12 speed is over the Microshift Advent 9 speed. I also realize how much better the Rockshox Judy Silver is over the Suntour coil fork. So since these are only on the base models, not the models with updated components, I'd like to know the specs and decide if upgrading is good for me. I know what the Specialized aluminum bars weigh, I know what my wheels weigh, I know what the seat weighs…no one knows if the Stout Pro cranks are awful, mediocre, stiff but heavy, heavy but not stiff, comparable to SLX without the name? Also it looks like they use the 24mm BB, would going up to a 30mm BB with new cranks be a performance advantage?

· Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the cranks in the chisel comp are the shimano's MT511, which belongs to the Deore family. SLX cranks should be lighter.
Ahhh. Just looked closely. Yes it's got SLX shifters and RD, but the rest of the drivetrain is Deore.

Next SL seems to have some durability issues. SLX is looking pretty good, a lot less expensive than the Next SL, and some weight savings over my Stout Pros which are reportedly around 900 grams. I can also get the Shimano chainring which will allow me to use a Shimano chain and take full advantage of Hypergilde+.

· Magically Delicious
14,223 Posts
Interesting how you're comparing budget Shimano SLX to Next Carbon cranks as a consideration. A considerable cost gap there.

I have had two Next SL cranks with zero issues. Current set at close to 7,000 miles. I have been exceptionally pleased with and the ability to quickly swap chain rings.

· change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,252 Posts
1. Cranks are one the the worse upgrades. I’ve been guilty of doing so. Typically wheels and tires are better upgrades but that can be expensive.
2. I’m a XT fan boy. SLX is a better value.
3. RaceFace carbon cranks have spotty reliability and a prolonged warranty process. Their alloy cranks are fine. RaceFace bottom brackets are mediocre at best.
4. SRAM XO1 carbon cranks are tough and light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good info. I’m all over the place but here is my thinking. Most cranks are plenty stiff. Difference is going to be durability and weight. So SLX and XT are nearly identical in weight. 21 grams difference. So unless I go up to XTR, going above SLX in the Shimano lineup isn’t a real benefit. Once in XTR territory, I can now look at Carbon, and actually get lighter than XTR, like the Next SL. So now I am bouncing between the value of the SLX and the weight of the Next SL. How is durability? Next SL is probably less durable, maybe not by a lot, but that becomes an issue, and because my existing cranks are 900+ grams, the SLX will save me probably 400 grams and the Next SL or XTR maybe 500. Even with SLX that’s a pretty good weight savings especially if SLX cranks are $120ish?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.