Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
CEO Product Failure
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 mo old stem that I am the only owner of, came new on my TB4 (my own spec), 50mm, 31.8 clamp, +/- 6*, 1" 1 1/8th. I am no longer confident of the stem. 6 of the last 6 rides the handlebars have twisted on the fork when going through chunk. The last 3 times, I checked to make sure the stem bolts were tight before loosening (and they were tight) the stem bolts to correct. The last 2 times included fresh blue Loctite. Its still occurring regardless of the blue Loctite. One of the things that bothers me is there are only 2 stem bolts and they're tiny--they use a 3mm Allen to fasten.

Any recommendations are appreciated. I'd like to stick with aluminum. And I am withholding the brand name to allow unbiased replies.

TIA!

-binge

·
Registered
223 Posts
3mm allen is awfully tiny for a stem bolt, but... it may not be the stem. Flip your fork over and draw a line across the steerer and crown interface. Next time you get barspin, check to see if the steerer has twisted in the crown. I've had this happen, and at first had incorrectly blamed the low torque fasteners on my stem. It could have been a terrible crash if it had fully broken free.
If, on the other hand, next time you get bar-spin, and the line isn't broken, you know for sure it's the stem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.