Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older aluminum mountain bike and i love the bike and the frame. but I would like to get rid of my v-brake mounts and the rear disc adapter and have somebody weld an IS mount to the rear of the frame. similar to this NOVA AL7005 DISK BRAKE TAB/MOUNT :: SMALL PARTS :: BRAZON/SMALL PARTS :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.

the bike itself is a KHS Alite 500 that is the 6061 aluminum. Somebody close to omaha would be great, but i can ship it. Right now just looking for prices before i strip it down again and get ready to powder coat it this fall.
20140403_072418.jpg 20140403_072343.jpg

·
RCP Fabrication
389 Posts
6061 needs to be post weld heat treated, and you can not weld a 7005 brake tab to it. Stick with what you have, or get a new frame. It would cost way more than the frame is worth to do what you want.

·
RCP Fabrication
389 Posts
Yes and no. It makes it easier, but you still need to find a builder who is willing to do the work. The saying "You touch it, you own it." rings loudly with aluminum frames. What I mean by that is the person who welds the brake tab on is going to have a headache down the road if the headtube cracks and rips off. You assume liability on the whole frame by doing any work to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would it be better to let a local welder do it then. If it does not need heat treating. Honestly I would never blame anyone for my own actions.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
The chances that it'll end well with some random local welder are low. Being totally honest: if you love the bike, keep riding it as-is and accept that it's not the latest and greatest in terms of component compatibility. If you really want a frame with a disc tab and any other new-fangled bells and whistles, buy a new frame.

-Walt

·
RCP Fabrication
389 Posts
I can't really advise you on having a local shop do it. Could I have welded it up when I worked at a welding shop with zero frame experience.... probably. Could a lot of weldors that I have met over the years screw it up and total your frame.... definatly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just to clarify something, 7005 can be welded to 6061 with 5356 or 5183. You would still need to solution heat treat and age though to bring the entire weldment back to T6.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So more of a curiosity now, since I am leaving the bike as is. But to force age. Its that the bake at 350 for 9 hours that Easton talks about with the manufacturing

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, that is actually the procedure for aging 6061 after solution heat treat. Each manufacturer seems to have their own 7005 procedure. But it is generally lower temperature than 6061 for at least a portion of the time.

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
You can put disc brakes on that bike with Brake Therapy. One of my friends did that to an old bike. It worked mint.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am running a 20 dollar mount that I got from Ebay. It works great. I looked at the bike therapy kits but they were beyond what I want to spend on this bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That I am not concerned about. I have a friend who tig welds for a living. And he has a cnc mill to make a bracket. He was just concerned about the heat treating. he has welded all of my families duck boats as well

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I did not have to worry about the retreating. I would have him do it. But since we don't have access to a way to post treat it

·
Most Delicious
1,316 Posts
Easton says to artificial age 7000 tubes:

"Age 6 hours at 200 degrees F (± 10 degrees F)
plus 4 hours at 320 degrees F (±10 degrees F)"

So if you can find an old pizza oven this is doable. Maybe a powdercoater?

Columbus mentions this:

"This means that in the areas overheated by the welding the supersaturated structure is restored, which, owing to the natural aging (which takes place at ambient temperature), allows for a 75% recovery of the initial properties after a lapse of time of about 3 weeks."

So I don't know if 75% is strong enough, but you might be able to get away with welding it and letting it sit for 3 weeks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts