Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im dead set on getting XTR V brakes. What are some good lever/shifter combos that are going to parallel the performance? or would I benefit from getting some shifters seperate from the levers. Im New and Im still distracted by all the shiny parts... Im looking to spend under 200
 

·
I Have Cookies
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
Avid sd's cheap and will work wonders with those v brakes and they are cheap thats the set up I have only SS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
You can probably find XTR V-Brakes and Pod Shifters which is combo brake shifter on ebay for less than 200.00
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am severely confused with all the choices out there, and after all the posts that Ive read, I just deduced these will be best for the soon to be aggresive XC riding Ill be doing. If there is anything out there that will be cheaper, and or better please shed some light.. Im still severely new to the sport, and Im the smallest fish in this sea of parts...
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
i3urtonfeind said:
I am severely confused with all the choices out there, and after all the posts that Ive read, I just deduced these will be best for the soon to be aggresive XC riding Ill be doing. If there is anything out there that will be cheaper, and or better please shed some light.. Im still severely new to the sport, and Im the smallest fish in this sea of parts...
Questions:

1. What type of bike do you have?
2. Define aggressive XC. You're going to be riding really hard and fast on standard XC trails? Or you're going to be riding your bike on trails that are more technical than traditional XC trails?
3. There's lots of options that will be cheaper than XTR brakes. Basically, every other type of brake.
4. Is your current wheelset disc compatible?

Edit: 3 isn't really a question. Sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
brakes

Magura hydraulic rim brakes are just plain superior to any V-brake.Probably better than low end discs.They can be had for well under $200 on Ebay.
They work soaking wet.Once you get them set up right you never,ever have to fiddle with them.They have a dial for pad wear.When the pads are gone,pop them out and dial back pad wear dial.I had an old set of HS 22.I had them on 3 different bikes over 8 years.They still work great,but look like crap.So I got a new set of HS 33's.'Cause I don't need them,sold them on craigslist.If you want bling,you should see the looks on the faces when you tell them,"those are hydraulic brakes".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ken in KC said:
Questions:

1. What type of bike do you have?
2. Define aggressive XC. You're going to be riding really hard and fast on standard XC trails? Or you're going to be riding your bike on trails that are more technical than traditional XC trails?
3. There's lots of options that will be cheaper than XTR brakes. Basically, every other type of brake.
4. Is your current wheelset disc compatible?

Edit: 3 isn't really a question. Sorry.
Im Riding a 97 Specialized Ground Control A1 Comp. When it comes to the Aggressive riding Im going a little faster than I porobably should, but the terrain is nothing more technical than anything else. Now comes the fun part. Im pretty sure my current wheel set is not disc compatible as it was made before Disc Brakes were implemented on MT Bikes. About the Mayurga Hydrolics. As of this morning my friend picked up a trek 7000 ZX outfitted with these brakes. They were scary compared to the Deore LX V's that I have. I never considereed them as an option until today, and with you seconding the notion. My plan might have changed to Hydrolics. If I go that route. I will need hydrolic levers as well?

P.S. Thank you all for your input, and responses. This is helpful beyond belief
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well as of right now, Im for a loss. Im set on Magura's now, and ebay is slacking in that specific department. any online store that I can trust to satisfy this hunger for cheap?
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,905 Posts
i3urtonfeind said:
well as of right now, Im for a loss. Im set on Magura's now, and ebay is slacking in that specific department. any online store that I can trust to satisfy this hunger for cheap?
Just get a regular set of v's, then. There is no reason to be spending a lot of money on this. There is not really that big of a difference between different v-brakes. The biggest difference is in the pads, and those are replaceable. I've used avid Arch-Rivals, avid SD's, XTR, LX (parallelogram linkage, like the XTR), and deore, and honestly, the calipers all worked about the same. Put good pads in a set of deores or avid sd's and there about as good as the Arch-Rivals or XTR, IMO. Levers make a bigger difference than the calipers. I like the avids, XTR I tried were nicer, but not worth the extra $, IMO.

Last bike I built up with v's I got a set of Deore calipers for about $20, then got some Avid Speed Dial (don't remember which, I think they are all pretty much the same) and a set of Kool Stop pads to replace the the crap pads that came with the Deore's. I saw no reason to spend anything more.

Want to make a real difference in the braking on that bike? Put a brake booster on the rear brake. While you have it, try it on the front too, and if it helps, get one for the front. THOSE made a real difference on every v-brake frame I've owned, and on one fork as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
kapusta said:
...

Want to make a real difference in the braking on that bike? Put a brake booster on the rear brake. While you have it, try it on the front too, and if it helps, get one for the front. THOSE made a real difference on every v-brake frame I've owned, and on one fork as well.
Any suggestions on some good brake boosters?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
I have a set of v-xtrs on my hardtail. I like them very very much. I've used deore, xt and avid's. The xtrs IMO worked the best. Not because they stopped better, but they gave me more control. Plus the xtr levers have this little stop piece that is adjustable. So you can give it some variable resistance depending on how hard you pull the lever. I don't know what they cost now but I remember paying 55 each for the brakes and 70 for the levers. I wouldn't worry too much about getting lever/shifter combos unless you don't like your current shifters and want to replace them too. I know pricepoint usually has the combos on sale. If you like the ones that shift off the lever they are always really cheap. I'll look for the link for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
Magura on Ebay

i3urtonfeind said:
well as of right now, Im for a loss. Im set on Magura's now, and ebay is slacking in that specific department. any online store that I can trust to satisfy this hunger for cheap?
Hurry!
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGURA-Gold-Anodized-Hydraulic-Rim-Brake-System-MTB_W0QQitemZ290328129745QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4398e7b0d1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A50

cut and paste address
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was seconds away from putting a bid on those gold anodized "downright PURDY" and then I checked crazedlist, and found a pair of brand new HS 33's for 90 bucks... so to say the least I sent the guy an email, and Im awaiting my MAgura's...

Mlpito. thanks for the link those are one hell of a deal!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
brakes

i3urtonfeind said:
I was seconds away from putting a bid on those gold anodized "downright PURDY" and then I checked crazedlist, and found a pair of brand new HS 33's for 90 bucks... so to say the least I sent the guy an email, and Im awaiting my MAgura's...

Mlpito. thanks for the link those are one hell of a deal!!!
What luck!Have fun setting them up.Best to do it with the tire off.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top