Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some light levers to replace my combination shift/brake levers. I am thinking:

Paul
FRM
Altek (if I can find some for cheap)

I really like the CNC look. Extralites would be nice but there is no way I can justify the price tag. Any suggestions? Thanks...

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
How light and what application are they for? Cable disc? V's? Canti?

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
There are some good options out there..

as you mentioned. The Extralite's are pricy but are really nice.
FRM are nice but still a up there in price and hard to find here in the US.
Maybe Stan can import some.

I used the paul levers for over 2 yrs with great results.

PM or e-mail me as I am getting ready to put my older Paul levers on ebay.
They are the longer version reccomended for GS.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are for Gripshift and V-brakes. I want something light but not flimsy, like Kookas or Steinbachs.

DB- Thanks for telling me about the Paul levers. I sent you an email. I also sent an email to Stan about the FRM's. If I can get those for a decent price I might get them. Hmmm... they have their crossover levers for only $20...

I thought that I remembered reading some bad write-ups on Real levers.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
top_ring said:
Have you thought about Sram 9.0 composite levers. Not the lightest but cheap, cheap, cheap. See them on ebay a lot. I have a pair tuned - they are 136g a pair.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58083&item=7150329349&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Might as well get pauls. I was going to get the srams but lately they have been selling for upwards of $50 a pair. As for Real X levers, they look great but this guy from Singapore bids on every one. Jamdel something. I spend too much time on ebay. Anywho, last set sold for over $70. Again, a set of new pauls will cost $70. If you want to try for the Kookas or Alteks, there are a set of each on ebay now, both already at $55. You might want to consider some older avid ultimate brake levers. Light-weight, awesome looks, and usually not too bad a price.

Ty has a great suggestion as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone! I am settling on the Paul's because I got a nice deal on them. Honestly, I would have preferred FRM's for the look but they are just too expensive now.

I just hope now that my v-brakes will generate enough spring force since the levers have no springs. I am using those rigid Tune housings and I think that they generate more friction because of the sharp bends.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
AdamGSmed said:
Thanks everyone! I am settling on the Paul's because I got a nice deal on them. Honestly, I would have preferred FRM's for the look but they are just too expensive now.

I just hope now that my v-brakes will generate enough spring force since the levers have no springs. I am using those rigid Tune housings and I think that they generate more friction because of the sharp bends.
Youll be happy with them. They dont need return springs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.