Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to SoCal (from Auburn - East of Sacramento) this Friday. My girl and I are going to be in Valencia Fri night, then LA area Sat, Sun, Mon, then she flies home and I head to Anaheim for a work thing for a few days.

Our hotel is in Redondo Beach, but I'm willing to drive for a good ride, especially with ocean views.

We are bringing our old school beater bikes and looking for some fun riding. Would love to find some flowy singletrack with a bit of climbing, maybe a 2-3 hour ride total.

I've got one mtb friend in LA, but she's one of those evil uphillers - 2 hours of climbing, see the pretty view, then ride your brakes straight down a boring fire road back to the car.

I get out of the training in Anaheim (hotel near Disneyland) about 5:00 tue, wed and thursday. I don't suppose there is anywhere close enough to get a quick evening ride in? I'm guessing traffic is gonna kill any chance of getting out of town before dark - but if anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

·
GONE
25,524 Posts
I've got one mtb friend in LA, but she's one of those evil uphillers - 2 hours of climbing, see the pretty view, then ride your brakes straight down
Welcome to So Cal. You're either going up or you're going down here. We are all good climbers because you have to be if you want to ride here regularly. To get to the sweeeeet ST, you gotta climb a while first.

I understand that there is some trail riding to do that over looks the sea not far from Redondo, up in Palos Verdes. Never been there but I assume somebody who has will chime in.

As far as riding in the "OC", never done that, either.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Valencia has two areas that are good for mtb.

Tapia: https://www.strava.com/activities/111999953
So many trails back there, but the best for mtb are Kona and G-Out (not in this link).

Viper/Los Pinietos: https://www.strava.com/activities/100698114
The climb to Viper takes me about an hour, and it's a long fire road. From the top, you can take the ridge across the canyon (Viper), which is super fun and a little bit difficult in spots, or keep going another couple of tenths to LP, which is super fun. Viper will take you back to your car, but if you take LP, you'll have to ride road back or climb Pinetos. That climb is a *****, but doable, especially once you get past the lower half.

I'll let someone else chime in about rides in the OC, but I will throw Santiago Oaks as a viable after-work area. The googly maps says is 10 miles from Disneyland, and there are a bunch of cool options in the park.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
815 Posts
We are bringing our old school beater bikes and looking for some fun riding. Would love to find some flowy singletrack with a bit of climbing, maybe a 2-3 hour ride total.[/QUOTE]

Two rides that meet your criteria are on the far (west) end of the Santa Monica Mountains, so not close to your hotel, but worth considering. One is the Backbone trail from Encinal Canyon to the Mishe Mokwa trailhead. It's an out-and-back. It starts with a 30-40 minute climb, but it's a nice even grade so it's not bad. There's a bit of fire road, but the end is a very nice single-track with great ocean views. The other is Sycamore Canyon/Pt. Mugu. There are a bunch of loops you could do, but you should ride Guadalasca and the Backbone Trail, and some of the ridge rides that give nice ocean views.

Weather should be nice. It was in the mid-80s and sunny last weekend!

·
Registered
815 Posts
We are bringing our old school beater bikes and looking for some fun riding. Would love to find some flowy singletrack with a bit of climbing, maybe a 2-3 hour ride total.
Two rides that meet your criteria are on the far (west) end of the Santa Monica Mountains, so not close to your hotel, but worth considering. One is the Backbone trail from Encinal Canyon to the Mishe Mokwa trailhead. It's an out-and-back. It starts with a 30-40 minute climb, but it's a nice even grade so it's not bad. There's a bit of fire road, but the end is a very nice single-track with great ocean views. The other is Sycamore Canyon/Pt. Mugu. There are a bunch of loops you could do, but you should ride Guadalasca and the Backbone Trail, and some of the ridge rides that give nice ocean views.

Weather should be nice. It was in the mid-80s and sunny last weekend!

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
You might be able to get a quick ride in at the Fullerton Loop after your training

I could probably show you around some trails in the Valencia area either Friday evening (just before dark), or maybe Sunday morning.

"some flowy singletrack with a bit of climbing, maybe a 2-3 hour ride total" :yesnod:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions! Jeffj, I'd love to meet for a ride, but wont be able to meet in Valencia Fri eve or Sun morn.

Looking forward to some great riding in 80 degree sunshine this weekend!

·
Registered
398 Posts
The sun is setting around 7pm now, but with traffic leaving Anaheim it may take you 30-45 minutes to get on actual dirt. The Fullerton Loop is not too far away if you want something relatively easy. Otherwise, if you can make it to the City of Orange, try Santiago Oaks for something more challenging.

If you plan on riding that late, please take the precautions to pack the necessary gear in the unlikely event you or your girl get lost, hurt or caught in the dark.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tons of good stuff in Palos Verdes (short ride from Redondo). Search Strava for Dave's trail, del cerro, ishibashi, Dutch delight...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I work down the street from anaheim and I get off of work at 5. Whenever I want to ride after work, I just head down katella straight to Santiago oaks. If you're staying near Disneyland, head East on Katella or Chapman and you'll just about right right into Oaks. I can usually be riding by 5:45, get an hour or so in and be back by dark.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
According to Google maps Laguna Beach is 22 minutes away from Disney at 5pm (right now). If you want to see the Ocean (including sunset over Catalina Island) its a great place to be. The attached photo is from Bommer Ridge last night around 7. Park on the 133 at the Willow staging area (parking lot gate closes at 6). Enter the gate, grab a map, and climb up the fire road. The first 400 yards is difficult so you may walk it. After that its a modest grade for the rest of the climb (little less than a mile). Ocean will be in view from the top. Based on your bike quality and desire for flowy ST I would try a trail called Fenceline which is very close to the top of Willow. Then take the fire road back to Willow and back down to the car. Its pretty easy to navigate and fire roads are listed on Google or iPhone maps so you can find your way out should you get turned around.

Orange County, California - Laguna Coast Wilderness Park

I suggest a cocktail in town after the ride!

Attachments

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
According to Google maps Laguna Beach is 22 minutes away from Disney at 5pm (right now). If you want to see the Ocean (including sunset over Catalina Island) its a great place to be. The attached photo is from Bommer Ridge last night around 7. Park on the 133 at the Willow staging area (parking lot gate closes at 6). Enter the gate, grab a map, and climb up the fire road. The first 400 yards is difficult so you may walk it. After that its a modest grade for the rest of the climb (little less than a mile). Ocean will be in view from the top. Based on your bike quality and desire for flowy ST I would try a trail called Fenceline which is very close to the top of Willow. Then take the fire road back to Willow and back down to the car. Its pretty easy to navigate and fire roads are listed on Google or iPhone maps so you can find your way out should you get turned around.

Orange County, California - Laguna Coast Wilderness Park

I suggest a cocktail in town after the ride!

Hey LB! I was on Bommer last night and today again! Looks like we must stop around the same spot...

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I pedaled in from water tank. Try to get a short ride in every Tuesday and Thursday evening. One or two long ones over the weekend. Going to do the night ride with the folks from The Path tomorrow. Leave Cooks Corner at 7... Ride the Luge.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got there about 530 and climbed the fire road. At the top, I met up with a strong local rider who led me to upper and lower fenceline. We then took lizard ( I think) and a couple other very cool narrow and woodsy trails and ended up at the parking lot. The ride was great! Thanks to you guys for pointing me in the right direction. I'm leaving at noon today for my long drive to NorCal.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
"and a couple other very cool narrow and woodsy trails and ended up at the parking lot."

Sounds like you guys poached Laurel Canyon... which is at the bottom of Lizard. It's hiking only but should have been completely empty by that time as the park was technically closed.

By any chance was the strong local rider's name Dave? He rode that route at about the same time last night.

Glad you enjoyed it. Let us know if you are ever in the area again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pt. Mugu has some great trails and will definitely have ocean views on trails when you start out. It's about a 1 1/2 hr. drive from Redondo, but a lovely drive once you start heading up PCH. The Overlook trail had some rain damage last time I was there, but is definitely rideable.

Park on PCH across the street for free parking or you will need to pay $12 to park at the campground parking lot. Take Overlook trail up to Backbone and ride down back to Sycamore Canyon Rd., continue up the Canyon and make a left on Wood Canyon and another Left on Broom Ranch and you will run into Guadalasca Trail which is in excellent shape right now. The Canyon is pretty bare until you get up near Guadalasca Trail, all burnt from fire awhile back.

But the ocean views are incredible while you are heading up Overlook trail. This is one of my favorite places to ride. Plus not many hikers :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts