Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

First off, I apologize if this isn't the right place for a question of this sort.

I bought a road bike a while back and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I initially was going to buy a mountain bike but thought better of it since I'm at college right now and I'm in the city. Here I am a year later and I found out there are some trails around my campus. :D

I tend to have a bad habit of browsing craigslist as is anyway, so I started checking the bikes section just to see what was on there. I came across a 2011 Specialized Hardrock (not the sport or disc, it's just the base model from what I understand). It's a 17 inch frame and I'm right at or just over the 5' 6" mark. The guy wants $200 for it, which I didn't think was a bad deal. It looks like it's hardly been ridden in the pictures.

Essentially, I came here to ask what everyone's opinions were on this particular bike for someone of my size. I thought it would make a good bike at a decent price point for someone just getting into all of this.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide!
-Logan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It "looks" as if it's good to go. There really doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the bike. I put "looks" in quotes because pictures can certainly hide things that are more noticeable in person. I may be able to meet him at a local bike shop, I haven't heard back from him on when he can meet yet.

I've got my fingers crossed that I'm not going to have to put money into repairs but small repairs aren't going to kill my budget by any means.

·
Registered
657 Posts
At 5'6" the medium "might" be to big if it is a 29er. A 26er may fit fine. You need to see the bike, ride the bike and then decide.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It "looks" as if it's good to go. There really doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the bike. I put "looks" in quotes because pictures can certainly hide things that are more noticeable in person. I may be able to meet him at a local bike shop, I haven't heard back from him on when he can meet yet.

I've got my fingers crossed that I'm not going to have to put money into repairs but small repairs aren't going to kill my budget by any means.
Well good luck, at least you should ride it. As for what it might need, remember you cannot see the bottom bracket, hubs etc, might need a chain, cassette or derailuer . . .

As for those type of bikes I too scan CL for things and see a lot of bikes like that so it might not hurt to be patient.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless I'm completely off base I don't believe it's a 29er. I'm fairly sure it's a 26er. I definitely agree with the riding it and then deciding, but I was curious what other people's opinions were on this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well good luck, at least you should ride it. As for what it might need, remember you cannot see the bottom bracket, hubs etc, might need a chain, cassette or derailuer . . .

As for those type of bikes I too scan CL for things and see a lot of bikes like that so it might not hurt to be patient.
They don't seem to be nearly as prevalent in my area. I check the bikes section and if there are good bikes, they tend to be road bikes. At least that's how it seems.

Thanks for the heads up on the possible issues the bike could have, that's why I posted here, I was hoping people might mention things I hadn't thought of.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The only issue with older bikes is that parts can sometimes be harder to find. I buy and sell on craigslist a bit and I've noticed a number of newer disc brake hardtails with low miles for $200 in my area, but it all depends on availability.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
That's a very basic bike, rim brakes, 8 spd so just make sure that everything works and doesn't have cracks, dings or the fork has leaks.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
That's a very basic bike, rim brakes, 8 spd so just make sure that everything works and doesn't have cracks, dings or the fork has leaks.
If this is true you can find a much better value bike.

I would wait for a used XCT or better fork equipped bike 2011 or newer with disc brakes, i've seen them go for $220ish. Much higher end than the above.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
If this is true you can find a much better value bike.

I would wait for a used XCT or better fork equipped bike 2011 or newer with disc brakes, i've seen them go for $220ish. Much higher end than the above.
Made a mistake, thought it was a Rockhopper, the Hardrock is 7 spd with a combination of Altus, X3 and X4.

This is the Bikepedia info on the 2011 Specialized Hardrock, worth $200? Maybe not but keep in mind that the OP mentioned that bikes are hard to find in his area so this might be his only shot for a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had intentions on meeting with the guy today but he never has gotten back with me. With finals coming up I'm not going to have time to mess with it in the next week or so. I think that I'm going to end up passing on this one like some of you have suggested.

Now, my next question is what bikes do you guys recommend that I can find used in the 200 and up range? Bob13bob, what is an XCT? I did some looking around and couldn't quite get that figured out.

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Don't buy anything with a 7-speed cog set. All the possibilities are annoying.

OP, both where I went to college and where I earned my Master's had bike co-ops. See if your school has one. They can be an excellent resource. Look off campus too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what exactly is a bike co-op? I do know that we have a salvage place up here? That's where all the bikes that have been chained up for too long get taken to. I called and they said prices were 25 to 35 dollars, the type doesn't matter from what I understand. I think I'm going to check it out and hope I find something pretty decent.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I imagine they're different from campus to campus. Basically an organization and space where students can go to ask questions and get help maintaining their bikes. Usually they also buy and sell used parts and bikes. The one at my college let people use their shop space, which was very helpful, or I could have left my bike there and paid them to fix it for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahhh, okay! Yeah, we've got one of those. I've come across there stand once last semester. I haven't seen it this semester though, granted it just recently has been nice enough to do anything. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for it next time and do some checking around

1 - 16 of 16 Posts