Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I am looking to upgrade to a new bike..well used actually, but new to me. I am currently riding my Cannondale caad 2 F400. yikes I know right. I have about 1800.00 to spend. I mainly ride single track nothing too technical. I am 5'9 210lbs. What are your thoughts? Been looking at the Specialized fsr's, Cannondale rize 120/140, and a couple of the different Trek fuel models.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
1800 is a good chunk to drop on a bike. Should be able to get a really nice used bike for that. Having owned a lot of suspension designs and travel from 100mm to 160mm, i think the sweet spot for general trail riding is 120 - 140mm front/rear with around a 68 deg head angle. This is only my opinion.

In this range the Stumpy, Yeti 575, Trance, etc. would all be good choices. You'll need to test ride some bikes. Have any friends or a local forum where you could hook up a ride on someone else's rig?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have come to realize that not many bike shops sell used bikes that are half way decent.. Have any of you guys ever bought a bike off of ebay? How important do you think it is to test ride a used bike? When buying off of ebay I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are your thoughts on this bike? The owner does not live too far away from me so shipping wouldn't be figured in the price. Ebay item #160995916059. I tried to copy and paste the link but my phone won't let me do it. Is the price too high?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Nice bike. Think you might be able to do better but can also do worse. Figure that a used bike should sell for at least 40% less than MSRP.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
Does your lbs sell demos? Or are there any demo days coming up near you? Might get a better idea of what you want and be able to swing a deal?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I wouldn't spend a ton of time agonizing over your choice.

The Trek & Specialized bikes you mentioned above are both good lines, you'd probably be really happy with either. If you ride the bike for a significant period of time & like to tinker, you'll probably swap out (or possibly break) the bits you don't like anyway.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nice bike. Think you might be able to do better but can also do worse. Figure that a used bike should sell for at least 40% less than MSRP.
+1

It is clean, looks lightly ridden. That's a lot of loot however, good for seller not so good for buyer. I have seen nice Trance X's (pretty similar spec) go for 900-1200 if I recall. You can search on Ebay for "sold" items matching description.

Also, you said something about 18", have you mounted this size to see if it fits you?

FWIW, I have bought bikes off this forum classifieds, and Ebay. In all three cases got great bikes. Higher end bikes people generally know how to take care of them, that's my theory anyway. If you are looking for validation, seller should agree to take to bike shop near him for a evaluation, I had this done once and the guy I talked to was like "its a great bike, he just got a Trek $5000 bike and we do his work this is in great shape" and it was. I did get a bit short end on a craigslist bike I got sight unseen off pics and it was not a great deal but only 400 and had xt all and straight wheels, just ridden hard and put away wet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts