Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on building a hard tail single speed with a Marino frame I'm having built. It won't be here until probably December so during this time I'm gathering parts and looking for deals. I've been making some single speed runs on my local trail to get a feel for what gearing I want. On my 32lb 120/130mm travel trail bike I've found with the 18t cog I can clear 99% of the local trail system. I'm using 155mm cranks and a 32t Wolftooth oval ring on my trail bike. The single speed will be built with 170mm cranks with a 32t round ring so there is a little bit of setup difference to account for. But I'm curious for those of you who tested on a full sus then transitioned to SS how closely your experience matched. I've read people say their SS's pedaled easier, so I'm wondering if I should get a 17t or 16t to start with instead, especially considering I'll be using 15mm longer cranks too.

Then there is the question about brand/make/model of single gear cog. I'll be using a old wheelset with an aluminum HG freehub. Looking at the Surly stainless ring but I'm wondering how bad the ring will bite into an aluminum freehub body? There is the Chinesium option which is purple ano (nice since I've already sprinkled purple ano bits on the bike) and the design looks like it might spread the load over a wider area of the freehub to get less freehub bite. As much as I love Wolfwooth and Absolutle Black products I'm not sure I want an aluminum cog. But I ride 40 miles a week and if half my riding is on the SS at 20 miles a week maybe an aluminum cog will be fine and last me several years at that riding rate. Any preference for the hub spacers? Such a simple part seems like one is as good as another.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What wheel / tyre size? 16 or 17 sounds ballpark though given your previous findings.

I put about 700 miles on an 20T Absolute Black rear sprocket before the teeth were worn enough for me to flip it over. I figure that gives you a little over a year... Up to you whether it's worth it :)

·
Rippin da fAt
11,869 Posts
Basically, you will end up with a few cogs lurking for the experiments and changes. After getting in some form of SS condition, you will change it again.

700 miles and two months will be the change of cogs for wear and tear. Especially due to trialsin.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Buy several of the cheaper ones, I'm thinking 1 - 2 teeth on either side of your current preferred ratio. This will allow you to experiment and play around with ideal ratios for your new bike. After you find what you like, splurge on some bling titanium from Boone Ti.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buy several of the cheaper ones, I'm thinking 1 - 2 teeth on either side of your current preferred ratio. This will allow you to experiment and play around with ideal ratios for your new bike. After you find what you like, splurge on some bling titanium from Boone Ti.

Didn't realize Boone was making bike parts again. My wedding ring is a Boone ti ring with a Mokume inlay. Guess I need the cog to match it. 😁

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think you will be happy with the 18 for most rides. Maybe a 19 if your riding trails with more elevation gain. Most guys I ride with out here in AZ run 32X18. I run 30X17 most of the time and 30X18 sometimes. I have a couple other surely cogs in the garage but I find that I can clear pretty much most climbs on the 18 or 17.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Messaged Boone this morning as I noticed they had a in store pickup option and I would drive right by there on my way to Chattanooga today. Boone had a 18t manufactured and ready for me to pick up as I drove through ATL at 4pm. That's customer service. It's really pretty 😁

Wheel Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Wood

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.