Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for signs for bike still on car

3K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  spazzy 
#1 ·
I *think* I saw on here a couple signs to hang in or on the garage door, or something like that, as a reminder the bike is still up there. Anyone still have them?

#2 ·
Like this?

(ok, I admit it was mean, just trying to have some fun)

Attachments

#3 ·
Like this?

https://bikesonroof.com/

I like the idea of hiding the remote or putting a milk crate or trash can in front of the garage door better.

Most fool-proof bet would be a height-appropriate seeing-eye beam, like they use at the entrance to 7-Eleven to activate the door chime, that would power on a rotating beacon inside the garage as the vehicle pulls into the driveway. Rigging a warning tone in the car would be bonus.

#4 ·
I was warned over and over about getting a roof rack in Germany, for good reason. One can't get into parking garages with them, and with lower headroom on some basic roads, the risks of them getting ripped off are pretty good. We hear lots of reports on the Autobahn traffic reports of bikes on bike racks in the middle of the highway blocking traffic.

We took the advice and got a pretty expensive hitch mount (EU ones are way different, incorporating full lighting and a clamp for the ball).

#5 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
I was warned over and over about getting a roof rack in Germany, for good reason. One can't get into parking garages with them...
As in, head room so low there's no clearance with them stowed (no bike loaded)? Wow...

I need 9' of clearance with bikes loaded on my Legacy wagon -- just enough to keep me out of drivethrus (pat bike rack on back). I'm picturing some pretty sketchy roadways where less than 9' overhead clearance is a problem.

#6 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
As in, head room so low there's no clearance with them stowed (no bike loaded)? Wow...

I need 9' of clearance with bikes loaded on my Legacy wagon -- just enough to keep me out of drivethrus (pat bike rack on back). I'm picturing some pretty sketchy roadways where less than 9' overhead clearance is a problem.
Some city garages that I've seen have clearance that low, yes. While a hitch rack adds length and further reduces parking prospects, it's much better than eliminating one from a garage altogether.

As far as the roadways go, there are some narrow ones, or the exits from some highways lead to some sketchy headroom areas, with such things as signs or trees.

Now imagine trying to maneuver in a parking garage designed for the turning radius of a micro car and that's what we pretty much have.

#9 ·
Here's the one I bought for my friend who was always running her bike into the garage overhead:

http://www.snewsnet.com/cgi-bin/snews/04778.html

It hangs from the inside of your garage door so that when you lift/open the door the sign hangs down in front of you. When the garage door is closed the sign lays against the back of the door, out of the way.

It is also reviewed on MTBR here:
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/extras/athletes-ideas/roof-rack-reminder/PRD_412495_117crx.aspx

It's been a big hit with her friends, family and neighbors. Most importantly, she hasn't run the bike into the garage in the last year and a half since using this sign :)

#13 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
I like the idea of hiding the remote or putting a milk crate or trash can in front of the garage door better.
I used to do both of those things, and my system was fairly foolproof, but now both of my cars have Homelink (so there's no remote to hide) and my kid is now almost 7 and when returning from a ride with her I've asked her to go move the trash can so I can pull in. Thank god she was more on-the-ball than I was and said, "Dad, if I move the trash can you might pull in with the bikes on top!" D'oh!

#14 ·
Nat said:
I used to do both of those things, and my system was fairly foolproof, but now both of my cars have Homelink (so there's no remote to hide) and my kid is now almost 7 and when returning from a ride with her I've asked her to go move the trash can so I can pull in. Thank god she was more on-the-ball than I was and said, "Dad, if I move the trash can you might pull in with the bikes on top!" D'oh!
Solution:

Blue masking tape over the homelink buttons when you leave...

"Hmmm, I wonder why this tape is here...?"

#15 ·
photodog said:
Safest thing for me has been putting my garbage can in the way when I leave. Doesn't help when you're driving around town though.
I second that. When I was using a roof rack (since moved to a hitch mount), I had an orange safety cone (think road work) that I'd put in my parking spot in the garage, right close to the garage door. Never failed me once.

Also, it's small enough to store right in front of the garage's safety sensor, so it was always handy to move it over 5 feet, into the requisite spot.

#20 ·
If I'm by myself, I will always fold down the seats of my Subaru wagon and put my bike inside. Otherwise, the http://www.rackvision.com solution gives me the confidence to put my bike on my roof. Also, I can monitor whatever is on the roof without getting out of the car. I tried a hitch mounted rack, but, I thought it was a pain to access the hatch.

The mirror in the garage is a good idea, but, what about banks, fast food drive-throughs, parking garages....

#21 ·
not to be a dick, but, how in hell do you forget 2-10000 dollars on the roof?
to me anyone who runs into something with not enough clearance should not be driving... ever again. when you drive the law mandates you know exactly what is going on at all times on all sides top and bottom of the car.also you have to pretty much manhandle a bike onto a roof rack. are you so stupid you forget?

#24 ·
Locutus said:
not to be a dick, but, how in hell do you forget 2-10000 dollars on the roof?
to me anyone who runs into something with not enough clearance should not be driving... ever again. when you drive the law mandates you know exactly what is going on at all times on all sides top and bottom of the car.also you have to pretty much manhandle a bike onto a roof rack. are you so stupid you forget?
:rolleyes:

Attachments

#25 ·
Broussard said:
thats hilarious, but, seriously. do you drive into walls because you forgot there is more to your car than just your seat? do you drive into lakes and off cliffs and into swimming pools. my friends and i have been hauling stuf on our roof racks for years. canoes, sculls, kayaks, bikes hard luggage cases and NONE OF US has ever gone into or under something without enough clearance EVER

https://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/jmc0029l.jpg

#26 ·
Locutus said:
thats hilarious, but, seriously. do you drive into walls because you forgot there is more to your car than just your seat? do you drive into lakes and off cliffs and into swimming pools. my friends and i have been hauling stuf on our roof racks for years. canoes, sculls, kayaks, bikes hard luggage cases and NONE OF US has ever gone into or under something without enough clearance EVER

Wow! You've never made any sort of driving error or miscalculation? Ever? That's pretty impressive. I guess everyone isn't as perfect as you and your friends or there wouldn't be a market for these signs, or a need for this thread...:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.