Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2010 Specialized SJ Comp and a 1990 Specialized Rockhopper with zero suspension. I don't think suspension was available when I bought that bike. Anyway, I love my SJ and ride as often as I can. Here is the problem though, when I take the bike in to the shop and am told it will be a week before they get it back to me I am stuck with riding my non suspension 20 year old bike, and boy do I feel it.

So, I get the smart idea of getting a second bike with suspension so I can have a back up bike that won't give me kidney damage when I ride it. I have been focusing on either the Epic 29er (Comp or Carbon Comp) or the Camber 29er Pro. I have lined up a test ride for both these bikes soon, but figured I would check with the collective wisdom of the board for it's opinion on these two bikes and the wisdom or folly of what I am contemplating.

I like the Epic because it is different. It is focused more on speed and XC racing. I tell myself that it makes sense to get this one because it will be a different ride and so is ok to spend $2000-$4000 on a second bike when the first isn't quite a year old yet.

But I like the Camber because it is similar to the SJ, but has the 2X10 I have been lusting after and I rarely use all the suspension in the SJ. It will be similar so that will be good for seamless transition between the two bikes. But then I feel greedy and silly for having two bikes that basically do the same thing.

So, that is the dilemma. I know I don't need a second bike since the old Rockhopper will suffice for the occasional week I need it, but I am spoiled by the full suspension now and realize how much it helps on the trail (and how much I hate being bashed around on non-suspension). Do I get something like the Epic since it is engineered to do what the SJ isn't or do I get the Camber that more closely mirrors the SJ in capability?

Of course the other wrench in all this is the SJ is 26" and I am looking at 29". I haven't ridden 29ers before and may love or hate them. Only a test ride will tell.

What do you think?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I say get the bike that best suits your riding style and terrain ;) If you're a racer boy, then get the Epic, if not get the Camber. Doesn't really matter what you get the SJ FSR 26" will end up being your 2nd bike :D
Personally unless you have some stupendous relationship with the SpecialED dealer I wouldn't limit myself to just looking at them, as there are way too many other great options out there. In the "big brand" segment there's the Giant AnthemX 29er, Trek/GF Rumblefish, RM Altitude, Kona Hei Hei, Salsa Spearfish, to name a few.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
LyNx said:
I say get the bike that best suits your riding style and terrain ;) If you're a racer boy, then get the Epic, if not get the Camber. Doesn't really matter what you get the SJ FSR 26" will end up being your 2nd bike :D
Personally unless you have some stupendous relationship with the SpecialED dealer I wouldn't limit myself to just looking at them, as there are way too many other great options out there. In the "big brand" segment there's the Giant AnthemX 29er, Trek/GF Rumblefish, RM Altitude, Kona Hei Hei, Salsa Spearfish, to name a few.
after riding the scott scale, spec'd stumpy, and rumblefish, i'd say ride a rumblefish. that's what i ended up with, it felt the best of all of them and the base model is pretty comparable to what you're looking at. the G2 geometry really helps with slow speed turns and switchbacks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.