Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

This coming weekend I'll be doing two days of riding in Western NY. The original plan was to ride Letchworth on Day 1, and Ellicottville on Day 2. I have ridden both areas before.

Recent ride reports suggest that Letchworth will be too damp and muddy this weekend, and I was once there in otherwise regionally dry conditions and found a lot of boggy sections even then. It has been raining this year...so we're throwing out that idea and looking for a better place to go.

This group is keen on finding a longish ride, preferably 3+ hours, but all-day would be a nice option. We're all experienced riders, and we'd like more technical riding if that's an option. We have really enjoyed "Little Rock City" at E-ville for those familiar with the terrain.

One other thing, is that we'd like to keep within a couple of hours driving time of Buffalo. We're going there to ride, not drive. :nono:

We've taken a look at the wnymba.org website to get some ideas and updates, and the following trails seem to meet the obvious criteria for ride length, trail conditions and short drive times:

Allegany State Park
Allegheny National Forest
Fred Cusimano Westside Overland Trail

It looks like Allegheny National Forest is rated as the most-technical, so I'm leaning towards that at the moment.

- Can anyone familiar with the trails comment on which area would offer the most potential for a long + technical advanced singletrack day?
- Any thoughts on a possible route, including which direction to ride on the various trails if that is important at all in terms of climbs and downhills?
- Are any other not-listed areas even more fun?
- Anything special we should know about?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You could also check out Naples, which is south of rochester and probably about 1.5-2 hours from ellicottville

Hi-tor, DEC, Ontario County Park, Stid Hill, Cutler, even Harriet Hollister Spencer.

IF inclined we've strung together 100 mile rides on these trails (The Humbler coming in September) but it's never boring down there, loads of climbing and the DEC descent is gnarly nasty 7 minute, forearm burning, calf cramping, bike part eating descent. My favorite descent from anywhere I've ever ridden

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sprocketjockey9 said:
Hi-tor, DEC, Ontario County Park, Stid Hill, Cutler, even Harriet Hollister Spencer.
Where can I find more information about these routes? What are the trails like? Would it be easy to follow...well marked, etc?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Ontario County Park is probably your best bet for a starting spot. Here's a map of the new stuff being built

OCP and Hollister Maps

You can link Ontario County Park with Cutler Boy Scout Camp (both are the Finger lakes Orange Trail) If you descend OCP out to the road, just cross the road and the entrance to cutler is right there. Climb the hill, splits 2paths, but reconnects, follow up the steep climb (you'll see tire marks for sure in the mud at the bottom) and grab the orange trail

Hi-Tor is also the FLT orange trail but a little harder to get to. the DEC descent is in the middle of HiTor can be tough to find. I'll see if I can find the cue sheets from last years ride.

I'm going to be down there riding this entire weekend fri/sat/sun and can lead a group ride if needed. email me jason at epicpeaks.com

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks a ton! I will check with my group and see what the others think. Things are a bit up in the air at the moment.

I'll email you shortly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.