Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people
I'm needing to do some long boring training rides with lots of climbing in the next few months. The ipod is great but it doesn't talk back. My pace is slow to moderate. Looking at 5+ hour rides. Let me know if interested. Thx.
 

·
The Road Warrior
Joined
·
622 Posts
I'll ride with you, but you will probably have to draft me. I've got some great hybrid road/mountain rides that are perfect for training, by the way. I think that you can't get the same training on the road that you can in the dirt. Maybe some places, but with all the people on the trails they really interrupt my cadence. Just kidding. Seriously, you need some road riding to really get your o2 moving and get better. By the way, I rode through Arnold Schwarzenegger's singletrack, yesterday (a trail next to his house). Check out some of these: http://ridewithgps.com/users/27018 I live next to UCLA.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gregdr said:
Are you riding this weekend? I need some long rides myself. I was going south to ride the SJT, but the SM's are closer for me.
I am riding this weekend, sat is road but sunday I was going to ride in the santa ana's (blackstar -> motorway -> maybe up to the peak if I'm feeling groovy.) Let me know if you are interested.
 

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
I have some stuff like that out my way (Santa Clarita area). One that comes to mind is about 37 miles with 4K or so of climbing with some great views and nice temps this time of year. Lots of different routes to suit the 'needs' of the riders.

Can you ride mid-week or just w/e?
 

·
The Road Warrior
Joined
·
622 Posts
jeffj said:
I have some stuff like that out my way (Santa Clarita area). One that comes to mind is about 37 miles with 4K or so of climbing with some great views and nice temps this time of year. Lots of different routes to suit the 'needs' of the riders.

Can you ride mid-week or just w/e?
Every time I drive to the Santa Clarita Walmart I think about riding in those hills, out there. That town has some nice bike lanes, too. Not like where I live in West LA. We do have Zankou Chicken, though.
 

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
LandSpeed said:
Every time I drive to the Santa Clarita Walmart I think about riding in those hills, out there. That town has some nice bike lanes, too. Not like where I live in West LA. We do have Zankou Chicken, though.
Zankou Chicken? Is that near Tito's Tacos? :p

I lived in Palms for two years back in the early 80's. Rode a Schwinn Continental all over that area, most of the time by choice, sometimes not. Had my car stolen from my driveway. . . . . twice. Found a '65 Mercury station wagon for $50 and drove that for a year. Good times :cool:

Here is some of the SCV 'inventory'. I marked the Walmart location for a reference point. The small red loop in the lower left portion of the pic is Towsley Canyon which is a 5 mile loop so you can sort of apply some scale to the routes in the upper section. I don't have everything marked yet, but there is much more riding at the north end of the area. It gets too hot for midday riding in the summertime, but the rest of the year is good to go.

 

·
The Road Warrior
Joined
·
622 Posts
jeffj said:
Zankou Chicken? Is that near Tito's Tacos? :p

I lived in Palms for two years back in the early 80's. Rode a Schwinn Continental all over that area, most of the time by choice, sometimes not. Had my car stolen from my driveway. . . . . twice. Found a '65 Mercury station wagon for $50 and drove that for a year. Good times :cool:

Here is some of the SCV 'inventory'. I marked the Walmart location for a reference point. The small red loop in the lower left portion of the pic is Towsley Canyon which is a 5 mile loop so you can sort of apply some scale to the routes in the upper section. I don't have everything marked yet, but there is much more riding at the north end of the area. It gets too hot for midday riding in the summertime, but the rest of the year is good to go.

Nice map! Thanks for posting that. I'm going to have to make it out that way, for sure. And stop by Tito's tacos, too. Really, though... every time I go up to Santa Clarita I wish that I lived there. Suburban, bike lanes, riding area, walmart, etc are all luxuries. I do live next to Bel Air and Beverly Hills, though. Plus, I saw the premiere for Battle LA last night with all the actors there. I saw Ashton Kutcher not long ago, too. He's a dream boat.
 

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
gregdr said:
Do any of those routes go thru Rowher Flats? I went there a couple of times riding my motorcycle.
Yes, the royal blue one in the upper right section goes through Rowher and then the yellow part comes back in through there (on the main entrance road). That is the 37 miler I was referring to earlier.

One of the other ones goes into Drinkwater Flat too.

LandSpeed said:
I saw Ashton Kutcher not long ago, too. He's a dream boat.
Yeah, I'm kind of crushing on Aston Kutcher too. . . . . ;)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top