Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a light relatively cheap SS frame. After taking my cross bike out yesterday on my local trail and deciding not to shift for the whole ride, I decided that I might try a single speed build. I have most of the parts needed laying around the house, so I am looking for a frame. I am trying to keep the build kinda light, and I will be using a sid, easton carbon bars and seatpost etc. I am looking for the frame to be between 3 and 4 lbs. but If i can find a nice steel frame I might go a little heavier. I am looking to spend under 500, but the cheaper the better...any suggestions?

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Surly makes the 1x1. Could be had for under $500 with suspension corrected rigid fork. Steel frame. maybe al little heavier than what you were originally looking for, but a very nice frame.

mtnbikej

·
Registered
218 Posts
Soul Cycles - Hooligan

I just built a Hooligan by Soul Cycles. I don't know the exact weight but its of average weight. Its made out of aluminum and will fit large size tires. Also has an EBB. For the price ($285 including a rigid forck) I don't think it can be beat. www.ridesoul.com

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
cavitykilla said:
I just built a Hooligan by Soul Cycles. I don't know the exact weight but its of average weight. Its made out of aluminum and will fit large size tires. Also has an EBB. For the price ($285 including a rigid forck) I don't think it can be beat. www.ridesoul.com
i concur. soul is a good little company with great customer sevice... the other week i broke a non-warrantied fork (i bought it second hand), and the are sending me a new one, free, no questions asked.
re weight:, they are fairly light, but quite strong.
i wold be careful though about putting on a SID, the axle-to-crown length might not work, but i'm not sure. the rigid forks only enhance the experience, IMO, and i would just run that. lighter than an SID too...

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Low, Low Price

Can't beat this deal with a stick:

https://webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=17325&cat=0&page=1

Redline MonoCog Flite (aluminum) frame and fork, wheelset and Avid disk brakes for $350. They are nice frames for the money. The 110mm spacing is a little wierd, but it comes with the wheelset.

JMH

lancerracer said:
I am looking for a light relatively cheap SS frame. After taking my cross bike out yesterday on my local trail and deciding not to shift for the whole ride, I decided that I might try a single speed build. I have most of the parts needed laying around the house, so I am looking for a frame. I am trying to keep the build kinda light, and I will be using a sid, easton carbon bars and seatpost etc. I am looking for the frame to be between 3 and 4 lbs. but If i can find a nice steel frame I might go a little heavier. I am looking to spend under 500, but the cheaper the better...any suggestions?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the replys..I will look into all of them..I might acctually go for the rigid fork, but I dont know....the redline does look goodm but what are my options if I need a new wheel??

G

·
rear dropout spacing

110 mm is the rear Dropout spacing. Single speed hubs should be very easy to find since BMX hubs are 110 mm locknut to locknut spacing.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
timbo337 said:
What does the 110mm spacing mean? Or, where do they take that measurement?
between the rear dropouts. MTB standard is *i think* 135mm

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
lancerracer said:
Thanks for all of the replys..I will look into all of them..I might acctually go for the rigid fork, but I dont know....the redline does look goodm but what are my options if I need a new wheel??
hardly any as far as i know...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
redline monocog...

smoking deal on a monocog frame and fork at jensonusa (17") only $100:
jenson
jenson also has a 19" komodo frame that could be made singlespeed with an ENO hub...pretty green too
jenson2

also, look into inbred's sale (around $800 for a complete rigid bike), or around $350 for a frame only:
www.on-one.co.uk

110 dropout spacing is BMX hub spacing, so if want to run discs, your choices are limited, but if you are looking for a wide choice of hubs/freewheels/cogs with v'brakes, then you have quite a few choices.

also, soma frames are pretty nice, i've seen a couple of the geared frames:
http://www.somafab.com/4one5.html

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
Another vote for the Redline...

I really liked my aluminum Monocog - it was very agile and fun to ride. An awesome starter SS. If it hadn't been stolen, I would have gladly ridden it for a long time. The rigid fork was fun, enough so that I put a rigid fork on my replacement bike, too.

Chuky

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Zion 853EBB or Unit/Explosif

Try the zion 853EBB from jensonusa.com $300 and free shipping! 853 steel and ebb so u can use any wheelset, disc or v brake, and a deraileur hanger in case you ever lose your mind and go back to geared (GASP). Rear tire clearnance is said to be a little sparse, 2.1-2.3 depending on the tire. I am about to order one with a king headset, all told 413 shipped! bikeman.com has kona unit and explosif frames for 399 as well, sliding rear drops so again any wheelset will do, disc or v brake, nice steel frame. whatever you get, post pics when you get her built!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
not really anymore, although i'm sure you could find something... it's best to work with the axle-to-crown length, as opposed to just travel, because it isn't as precise

·
giddyup!
68 Posts
Konas

lancerracer said:
I have noticed that many of the frames are built around 100mm forks....Do you know of any that are built around 80mm forks?
Kona's Unit and Explosif frames (same frame, Explosif comes with a derailleur hanger, Unit does not) are designed around an 80mm fork. Very cool sliding dropout design lets you run disc brakes that require no adjustment when changing gear ratios.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.