Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rockhopper that needs a rear cable hanger re-attached or anything else so I can use cantilevers.I'm currently running v-brakes as the 1st owner sawed off the rear hanger for some reason. It's a super light frame and has served me well for ten years. Any ideas would be great.Anyone wrenches out there know what it costs to weld something on? Thanks.

·
Unicycles are for clowns
329 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah.And built for speed too.

Rumpfy said:
I'm sorry but...did you use 'Rockhopper' and 'super light frame' in the same post? :p ;)
Titec/Bontrager titanium bolt kit,Hutchinson Mosquito Airlights,Easton EA70 XC bars,Specialized Titanium stem,Suntour XC Pro crankset,46-34t chainrings with titanium bolts,Odyssey Svelt cage pedals,Specialized Titanium b.b.,Sella Italia SLR,Ritchey 27.2 post,Titanium seat-binder bolt,Araya RM-17 wheelset,Suntour XC Expert hubs with a Sach Maillard 12/24 straight block,Titanium bolt-on skewers,RaceFace 1"headset,Specialized Stumpjumper DirectDrive 1" threadless,Removed all bike rack bolt fittings,Shimano XT thumbshifters,Suntour XC Pro front and rear deraillluers with titanium hanger bolt,Shift Biscuit pulleys and titanium pulley bolts,Drilled Suntour XC Pro cantilevers,Koolstop pads.Cut away all excess cable housings and used vintage Raleigh flexible steel rear derailluer cable for that neat custom look. So light,I don't need a granny gear to climb.
Oh,did I mention it's in Italian red paint?
23.5 lbs.just a bit heavier than my P-22. Yep, superlight for a Rockhopper. I've owned four other rockhoppers and this one is lighter than the others,even without the mods. I wonder if someone slipped in a Stumpjumper at the factory and put 'rockhopper decals instead. :D

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Built4Speed said:
Titec/Bontrager titanium bolt kit,Hutchinson Mosquito Airlights,Easton EA70 XC bars,Specialized Titanium stem,Suntour XC Pro crankset,46-34t chainrings with titanium bolts,Odyssey Svelt cage pedals,Specialized Titanium b.b.,Sella Italia SLR,Ritchey 27.2 post,Titanium seat-binder bolt,Araya RM-17 wheelset,Suntour XC Expert hubs with a Sach Maillard 12/24 straight block,Titanium bolt-on skewers,RaceFace 1"headset,Specialized Stumpjumper DirectDrive 1" threadless,Removed all bike rack bolt fittings,Shimano XT thumbshifters,Suntour XC Pro front and rear deraillluers with titanium hanger bolt,Shift Biscuit pulleys and titanium pulley bolts,Drilled Suntour XC Pro cantilevers,Koolstop pads.Cut away all excess cable housings and used vintage Raleigh flexible steel rear derailluer cable for that neat custom look. So light,I don't need a granny gear to climb.
Oh,did I mention it's in Italian red paint?
23.5 lbs.just a bit heavier than my P-22. Yep, superlight for a Rockhopper. I've owned four other rockhoppers and this one is lighter than the others,even without the mods. I wonder if someone slipped in a Stumpjumper at the factory and put 'rockhopper decals instead. :D
It's looking like the parts are light...but if it's an older (early 90's) Rockhopper frame...there's no way it's 'light'...I only know this because my second mtb was a 1991 Stumpjumper. And that frame, was thick. Strong. Held up great. I liked it as an MTB. But not light.

What hills are you climbing around here that you can do on a 34 front, 24 rear as your lowest gear!? I honestly want to see that! :)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Grant Ranch,Hotel trail...Quick Silver...

What hills are you climbing around here that you can do on a 34 front, 24 rear as your lowest gear!? I honestly want to see that! :)[/QUOTE]

Grant Ranch,Hotel Trail,August 15th and 16th at Quick Silver,2004. I know of others with the same set-up. Maybe it's the super burritos they serve in the East side. :D
If roadies can do a steady long climb on two larger chainrings on Mt Hamilton road,Quimby,Piedmont...(I know, roadbike light,mtb heavy :rolleyes: ) then why would it be impossible with a mountain bike with lots of torque,small rings,big quads and pop-eye calves? It's all in the mind.It sure was an ego booster when I looked down to see I was in the middle ring when I thought I was in the granny.My quads were burning up,that's for sure.
My '89 Rockhopper had thin tubes.I cracked one in the middle of the seattube one night in 1997during a 12 mile ride and the rest of the bike held up BUT it a lot a boing :eek: .I expected thick tubes.This made me a fan of the Rockhopper(4 of them).More bang for the buck. Great geometry,short wheelbase and a tough frame.
If the components lighten the bike,so be it.My Rockhopper is an R&D bike anyways.I doubt that I can get it any lighter.Oh,btw,the weight of the bike is actually 25lbs.Sorry. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.