Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

looking for: Raleigh ti/carbon

2K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Rumpfy 
#1 ·
Yep,

It may be a long project, but I am looking for a (merlin or Litespeed built) Raleigh USA ti/carbon like the ones Johnny rode....
If you have one or know someone who wants to sell or trade, please let me know. I am alreay half way there with original parts...

Coen

#2 ·
Steelboy said:
Yep,

It may be a long project, but I am looking for a (merlin or Litespeed built) Raleigh USA ti/carbon like the ones Johnny rode....
If you have one or know someone who wants to sell or trade, please let me know. I am alreay half way there with original parts...

Coen
Get in line! :p :D

I sent you a PM with a potential lead.

#5 ·
Shayne said:
Brand new with probably a handful of test rides.
Dah! That's the lead I gave him...I was just trying to sound 'connected'... :p

I did call and talk to the shop. They were very nice and quite helpful but surprised when I said I was calling from California. By their reaction, I don't think anyone has asked about the bike in quite a while. It seemed as though it was being sold 'for a customer' who had bought it new from the factory. Some of the other informantion was that it had 'never been titled'...which I don't think means much. Dispite it's high price tag, it is still just a bicycle.
The other thing it comes with is the factory warranty...which I'm not sure is worth much either.

Does anyone know if you could call up Raleigh and say: "Hey! the Ti/Carbon on my John Tomac Replica is separating. Could you send out a replacement frame or have the over qualified staff currenly working in the sweat shops over seas throw some Elmers glue on the frame to fix it!?"

At any rate, I was given an additional name and number...but I want to see pictures!
Buying a bike that old and that expensive sight unseen is a bit scary...

#6 ·
Rumpfy said:
Does anyone know if you could call up Raleigh and say: "Hey! the Ti/Carbon on my John Tomac Replica is separating. Could you send out a replacement frame or have the over qualified staff currenly working in the sweat shops over seas throw some Elmers glue on the frame to fix it!?"
If you broke it they'd probably happily replace it with one of those beautiful highend aluminum raleigh's they make now days decked out with full stx and a duotrack or something along those lines . . .

new the complete carbon/ti's bikes sold for $6300 back in the day.

-mtnwing

#7 ·
mtnwing said:
If you broke it they'd probably happily replace it with one of those beautiful highend aluminum raleigh's they make now days decked out with full stx and a duotrack or something along those lines . . .

new the complete carbon/ti's bikes sold for $6300 back in the day.

-mtnwing
Im sure Merlin could fix it. They have a new road bike that uses similar technology to the old Tomac bikes. Easton, Trek, 3D racing, all those guys could probably fix it. Id much rather do that than trade it in for an aluminum raleigh....

These bikes really shouldnt be ridden too hard anyway as they are so rare its a big risk. Although they do handle great at speed! I think they are very tough frames however. Tomac said he never had a problem with one and weve all seen what he can put a bike through. The Easton carbon is wrapped over aluminum so its got good impact resistance with that.

#11 ·
Funny who the word 'experimental' always draws crouds... Especially if it's written this tall on a toptube...

#14 ·
scant said:
theres a tomac ti/carbon in a shop in leamington spa in the UK. the owner has no intention of selling it unfortunately :(

ta

scant
John Atkins Cycles, yep. It's mint with only a few miles on it - full M900, Mag 21 SLTis, clear Tioga DD, and other goodies. Last time I was there (about 12 months ago) I asked him if he would ever sell it. Of course, I didn't have anything like the sort of figure he pulled out of the air, but it did make me gulp. Put simply, you'll have to be VERY rich and REALLY want it for him to even consider selling it to you.

Actually, I think I preferred the period Kona A'ha in stars and bars next to the Raleigh. Looked very cool with those butterscotch Psychos.

Someone needs to go down there and take a pic of that Raleigh, though.

Neeek

#15 ·
I was personally kinda dissapointed by the "experimental" given tomacs previous custom rides (C26, raleigh replica etc).

neeek, SSP did mention he was going to get pics, but for some reason it never happened.
I remeber seeing that very bike for sale @ the malvern hills classic years ago for £2000. just for kicks, how much does he want for it now ;D

ta

scant

#21 ·
I was interested in that MTI 200 and actually went to see it in the shop here in Stockholm Sweden. I have a couple of other projects going so I felt I would not have had the time to work on another bike.

However if you cant find a seller I might be interested in the XTR brakes and such of off it, (FYI if my mind serves me correctly I think the Disc drive wheel sold together with the frame was slightly broken, it had a loose strap of Kevlar I think?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.