Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope the title explains clearly,

Is anyone running Mtn King 2.4 front and rear? If so do you happen to have a pic of a Mojo, Mojo Sl with them on? Do you have any clearance issue in the rear.

Im running a fox fork so I should be ok with clearance in front.

Also any insight on personal experience with these tires would be nice.

Hoping this post is JC approved, Im working on it;)

Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Ken,

I ran them for a while with no clearance issues at all! I will try and dig our a photo later.. As always it depends on what conditions you are riding them in, as soon as the ground was lose, they were great, I found the front on hard pack was pretty squirmy. This was the protection model on Stans Flow rims running tubeless with Stans at 30/35psi.

My best set up was a Conti Rubber Queen 2.4 up front and MK2.4 rear, the RQ is huge but fits into Fox and Magura forks (just), this tire had heaps of grip and was not too slow rolling either!

Hope this helps!!

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
I can also vouch that the MK's 2.4 fit fine in a Large Mojo SL frame (I think the rear triangles are the same on all frame sizes). Sorry no pics though. I will say that the Conti's do seem to be a bit undersized for the stated sizing. The 2.4's seemed more like 2.25's to me. I didn't actually throw calipers on them. They just seemed smaller than stated. But like I said, no fit issues with the Mojo. Also, as stated above, they felt a bit squirrelly to me too - albeit only on very hard surfaces - although I ran them with tubes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I run MK 2,4" UST versions on my Mojo SL and I have no issues with the clearance.

My experiences with the tyres are generally positive however there are some issues with the grip on wet rocks. For some reason the tyres seems to have better grip on wet roots than on wet rocks. However the riding conditions here in Finland are probably very different from your riding conditions so I have no idea how the tyres would perform there.

Here are a couple of pics of my Mojo with MK:s:

·
The MTB Lab
2,559 Posts
I run the Mtn King 2.4 Protection tubeless myself. No fit issues as others have stated. They work best in gravel and loose conditions, and they do get a bit weird on wet rocks. Not much hardpack where I live so can't comment on them in those conditions. They also work extremely well in snow!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I ride in Nor Cal and mostly Annadel. Lots of wet rocks and little less wet roats, at this time of year. I ran Conti Race King 2.2 supersonic all summer and fall, love these tires and count the days till I can put them back on. So I was thinking 2.4 mountain kings, but the wet rock review is alittle scary. Trying some 2.25 Fat Albert front rear specific, but not happy with the fact that the carcass isnt straight.

·
DWlink Fanboy
201 Posts
Mountain Kings and wet rocks / roots

As has been stated by previous posters...

1) Mountain King 2.4s are really more like 2.25s. I would go a little further and say they are low volume 2.25s

2) These tires are dangerous on not just wet rocks, but rocks in general. They have very poor traction on rocks - wet or dry.

3) I don't agree about these tires on roots. I think they're pretty dangerous on roots as well.

4) If you are going to use these tires, I think it would be for less technical riding or perhaps racing. Their two redeeming factors are that they are really light and (for me, at least), they are really cheap. I paid $10 for a pair and I would say that's about what they are worth.

Obviously, I'm not a big fan. I tried them once and unmounted them. Scary to the point of being unsafe, and not fun at all. But since I like to give things a fair shake, I mounted them again. I scared myself again on the ride. After that second ride, they went straight off the bike into the "spare and used tire" bin.

Albert

·
Registered
256 Posts
albertclew said:
4) If you are going to use these tires, I think it would be for less technical riding or perhaps racing. Their two redeeming factors are that they are really light and (for me, at least), they are really cheap. I paid $10 for a pair and I would say that's about what they are worth.

Albert
Hi Albert,

There has been some talk about these on another forum, I am guessing if you only paid $10 for them they are not the protection or supersonic?? If so then they do not have what Conti call "Black Chilli" which basically means the rubber in the tire is very different, the cheaper version have as you stated can be very scary, where as the other models have got fairly good comments!

Cheers

·
The MTB Lab
2,559 Posts
Only the Protection and the Supersonic versions have the Black Chili compound, they also say made in Germany on them. And they would not be $10. I ride rock gardens all the time on these tires (in the dry and snow) and they are fine. Not many wet roots in Colorado for me so can't comment on that function. There are not a lot of tires that do well on wet rocks, the Mtn Kings are worse then normal, but I try and not ride on wet rocks anyway!

I ride the normal Mtn Kings 2.4's on my 29er (6 months on them) and the Protection version on the Mojo (2 months on them). They both ride about the same, but the sidewalls are tougher on the Protection version and they are a bit stickier.

You can see what I ride in these video's, I think they are somewhat technical:

29er:

Mountain biking - Pueblo South Shore Trails from Brian Mullin on Vimeo.

29er:
GoPro Hero Test Video's - Monument Preserve, CO from Brian Mullin on Vimeo.

·
half tread will travel
240 Posts
in general going faster is safer...

GBR1 said:
Hi Albert,

There has been some talk about these on another forum, I am guessing if you only paid $10 for them they are not the protection or supersonic?? If so then they do not have what Conti call "Black Chilli" which basically means the rubber in the tire is very different, the cheaper version have as you stated can be very scary, where as the other models have got fairly good comments!

Cheers
i second that...black chili compound is the better of the two choices of conti rubber compounds...to me tire pressure is always more critical to handling than tire choice...

i have lots of experience with dealing with wet rocks and roots...they are always found in sections of the trail in new england...generally speaking speed and momentum is to your advantage because you will skip across the tops of them...slow down and your tire will have more time to be deflected off your intended line...i spin up and hit them fast coasting into them committed to getting to the other side...slightly lift front wheel over diagonals roots in corners...and at the same time strategically use other roots and rocks to defect off of to help hold your line...keep your weight low and balanced between your wheels...good luck...

·
half tread will travel
240 Posts
thanks pj for the videos...what struck me was with such really cool landscape how come the trails just go so strait a head in a line...it used to be like that out hear too 25 years ago because the trails were originally made by motorcyclist...but since then have been re-designed with loads of switch backs using the ten percent grade rule...and now are so much more fun...i see great potential to work with on those ridges...we certainly are a lucky bunch...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.