Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of collecting up parts to put on a new FS frame I'm buying myself for graduation (the 15 year B.S. degree). I'm looking around the garage and I found a stock 2003 Specialized splined crank set and some 03 Deore shifters that had come stock on my Enduro, but were then replaced with XT kit. The cranks have maybe 30 miles of paved bike trail (wife's bike) and the shifters are new (never used). The XT crankset and shifters on my Enduro have been ridden and used. The bike snob in me thinks I should switch out the used XT stuff for the new frame, but there's a little voice inside my head saying that the new/barely used OEM parts from three years ago would last longer on a new build.

Should I use the Deore/OEM cranks or the 3 years of crashes/mud XT gear? What difference, other than weight, is there between the deore shifters and XT shifters? Were the Specialized splined hollow tech cranks the same as XT hollow tech cranks anyway in 03?

Any thoughts/opinions would be helpful.

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
RobNC said:
I'm in the process of collecting up parts to put on a new FS frame I'm buying myself for graduation (the 15 year B.S. degree). I'm looking around the garage and I found a stock 2003 Specialized splined crank set and some 03 Deore shifters that had come stock on my Enduro, but were then replaced with XT kit. The cranks have maybe 30 miles of paved bike trail (wife's bike) and the shifters are new (never used). The XT crankset and shifters on my Enduro have been ridden and used. The bike snob in me thinks I should switch out the used XT stuff for the new frame, but there's a little voice inside my head saying that the new/barely used OEM parts from three years ago would last longer on a new build.

Should I use the Deore/OEM cranks or the 3 years of crashes/mud XT gear? What difference, other than weight, is there between the deore shifters and XT shifters? Were the Specialized splined hollow tech cranks the same as XT hollow tech cranks anyway in 03?

Any thoughts/opinions would be helpful.
Whats the condition of the XT stuff? you say kinda beaten but is there signs of breakage? is there vertical play in the shift levers? (there will always be a tiny bit, if there isnt much, use them) the crank is debatable, but the rest use.

The cranks, if your gonna get a new bottom bracket then go with the XT, if not it might be best to use the specialized and the old not really used BB (or did they use the same? i forget if the XT is usin a square or that other one)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.