Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its getting cold, but i still love to bike. Whats a good trainer that i can use as "entry-level" so i can get keep my legs in shape till the spring?

budget is: $200

P.S. i only ride recreationally, no racing. if that matters

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'd go with either a magnetic or fluid trainer. Fluids tend to be quieter, but the magnetic resistance is a really good work out. I'd stay away from rollers if you're a beginner as it takes a lot of paying attention to get used to them.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I am using the basic Mag trainer from CycleOps. It retails for $199.00 and I think I got it for just a little less. It is their entry level mag trainer and the only one "below" it in their hierarchy is their wind trainer. I used to have a fancier mag trainer, a Minura, with different levels of resistance. It was o.k., but I like the CycleOps basic one for its simplicity.

When I was looking at the new trainer, the guys I trust at my local shop--both a couple of pro mountain bikers--told me the basic mag is the best value and is what they use and the shop owner uses. They suggested the fluid trainers ride a little nicer, but if you really use them a lot they are more likely to need significant maintenance. I also love the ease with which I can get my bike in and out of the CycleOps--it takes about 10 seconds after you set it up the first time and it fits your bike. The Minura I had took me at least 5 minutes turning a crank with the bike falling again and again.

Unless you are training indoors a bunch, there is a lot to be said for just going simple. And it fits your budget.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
louisssss said:
can i use the trainer with 26" bikes with knobby tires?
You can, but you likely won't want to. The the noise, vibrations, and tire wear are all rather undesirable.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
force yourself to let it be your offseason. cross train until you can start riding again. Trainers work if you are racing because you have a goal to work toward. Riding on a trainer is not exactly fun.

I have a blackburn magnetic. it gets the job done. I am training to race but still am crosstraining with running.

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
fluids are quieter and offer better resistance. I use a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine fluid. before that I had a cycleops magneto that I ended up returning. for your purposes and budget, I'd stick with a magnetic. 26" no problem, knobby?? I'd throw a slick on there. I read some bad reviews on the blackburn. Go with a cycleops mag, or kinetic if you can afford one. Only kinetic has a fluid design that is impossible to leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.