Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for my first 29er Mountain Bike for Trail and maybe single track.

Any suggestions? My budget is up to $1700.

I am interested in the Airborne Goblin Evolution. But I am unsure of the wheelset and if the RockShox Revelation RL 120mm with 15mm Maxle thru-axle will be too much for me to really use.

Is there better bikes at a lower price?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Airborne Goblin looks like a great bike. I like the tapered head tube and the forks will be a good fork for you. As long as the fork is air and not a coil you will be just fine. I too am not sure about those wheels, but I would think that they would be ok.

As for other bike check out the Giant Talon. It does not have a tapered headtube like the Goblin, but everything else about it seams about the same. As for the wheels they say that they are double walled, and I have seen in the forums that many Clydes say they ride the Talon and have had no problems yet. Plus it is $1350, so it will save you a little.

Talon 29er 1 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | United States

I know that Airborne is a factory to you so you cant test ride it, but you should be able to find an LBS that sells Giant and test ride the Talon to see what you think.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up doing.

·
DFL
1,398 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm 370 LBS and just picked up a bike, but take this with a grain of salt. The stuff spec'd on the Goblin is a great value. Things to keep in mind though, if you plan on doing any true off road riding plan on upgrading your brakes. My bike came with Hayes brakes 180/160mm rotors, and they didn't do a very good job of stopping me, even on small hills. Shimano SLX/XT seems to be the gold standard in brakes so I ordered SLX brakes and 203/180mm rotors, my bike is at the shop getting them installed as I type this.

The wheels are going to be another weak point. Everyone will tell you to run out and buy Stan's Flow EX with 36h Hope hubs, which is good advice, but wait until you find the weak point of the wheels that come on the bike, you may not need them. My bike came with light duty XC wheels that are working fine for the time being, I'm out there trying to turn every ride into a huck fest though. Once my riding ability exceeds the ability of the wheels to stay straight and true, I'lI replace them. Plus, it gives my marriage time to recover from the bike purchase. :D

The fork is another Clyde weak point. The fork that comes on the Goblin is an air fork, so you should be fine there. Just know that you will probably have more that the usual 30% sag, and you will likely bottom out some with the fork. Compared to the fork on the Giant, which is also an air fork mind you, it's a little more stout.

If you decide you like the Goblin, see if you can find a Trek Stache to take for a spin, the geometry is pretty similar.

I don't know what your goal is in buying a new bike, but above all else, get out there and have fun riding!

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Might consider a Surly Ogre, an all terrain (trail, singletrack, path, gravel road, etc) versatile bike. Its got strong wheels and has room for up to 2.5" tires so you can run some nice big Ardents on it to get a little cushion. Plus the Cromoly steel frame rides much smoother than jackhammer alloy frames (I've owned steel, carbon, and aluminum) while also being more durable.

Just an option other than the cookie cutter alloy hardtails out there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Might consider a Surly Ogre, an all terrain (trail, singletrack, path, gravel road, etc) versatile bike. Its got strong wheels and has room for up to 2.5" tires so you can run some nice big Ardents on it to get a little cushion. Plus the Cromoly steel frame rides much smoother than jackhammer alloy frames (I've owned steel, carbon, and aluminum) while also being more durable.

Just an option other than the cookie cutter alloy hardtails out there.
+1 will be my next bike

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have to agree with Bike Whisperer about the steel frame. I have a Novara Intrepid, which is a steel frame (discontinued model) and it is a nice strong bike. For big folks, steel is a nice option. The Charge bikes are steel and come with a good set up on the Cooker Hi bike. Good luck on the search.....buying a bike is more difficult than buying a car....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts