Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that the "multipurpose bikes" thread almost covers my question but I have one stipulation. I don't have that kind of money!

I've always been into DH and drops <6' and just bought cheap bikes because I knew I'd bust them and have to buy another. I've been riding this style since I was a kid.

Now I'm making more buddies who are into the rough technical trail rides (lots of roots, steep climbs) and I'd like to keep up without sucking wind the whole time.

I don't need a Mr. Right so much as a Mr. Right Now-that-won't-fall-apart-or-kill-me. haha. Any suggestions sub $500 that can last a season? I can save up and drop the big bucks next year. I just need something to get me through the summer.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Oh and I'm 5'6" 130lb female so things like mushy forks and weaker frames won't bother me like they would a 200lb guy :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
See as most of us consider $500 a bargain for forks...

Sub $500 is a hard range for many of us to hit, because that almost always means used. A new bike in that price range will likely not be capable of "DH and drops<6'." You can find bikes from time to time on craigslist that will fit the bill, maybe an older kona dawg/coiler or Giant AC. You may get lucky and find a guy who doesn't know what his specialized enduro is worth.

My point is, it will be something cheap and used in your local area. Where do you live? Maybe we can help you.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,486 Posts
RCdropper said:
More than $100 over what I wanted to spend Kona

Ending soon Specialized

And a little used Fuji

Any of these look good?
The STP has obviously been ridden hard, and the fork is bent, but those types of bikes aren't necessarily bad.

What is bad is that at a low pricepoint they don't come with parts that are strong enough to stand up to the abuse that the frame can. They don't come with dirt-jumping/freeride forks, they come with cheap forks designed for light trail riding. A good example is how you can get the higher end STPs and eventually they have overbuilt cranks, dirt-jumping forks, and so on. Those ones are more like $1000 retail at least, but on the other hand someone might have a used one for a lot cheaper.

The Fuji has an XC fork and parts, and while they are nice they won't hold up.

The Specialized looks decent, but it has 24" wheels! Only for BMX/dirt jumping for the most part. You'd hate it on the trail.

The Kona looks decent actually. No frills and it will be heavy, but it will do the job pretty well. But that's kind of the way it is, pay to play, and you simply have to pony up to the required amount that it takes, or you'll kill bikes, possibly injure yourself (which may happen anyway, but that's the sport eh?) and generally be unhappy. So the best advice would be to not do anything hasty, wait a little if you have to, save up a little more if you have to, or wait till that "better deal" comes along.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Seriously if your only looking to spend 500,you'd be better off saving for a more overall dependable durable bike,even with the depressed market a reliable durable bike for around 500 would be difficult to find,just by doubling your amount you could buy a very nice hooked up bike,it;s already a risky sport without having to buy and ride a questionably used cheap bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jayem said:
The STP has obviously been ridden hard, and the fork is bent, but those types of bikes aren't necessarily bad.

What is bad is that at a low pricepoint they don't come with parts that are strong enough to stand up to the abuse that the frame can. They don't come with dirt-jumping/freeride forks, they come with cheap forks designed for light trail riding. A good example is how you can get the higher end STPs and eventually they have overbuilt cranks, dirt-jumping forks, and so on. Those ones are more like $1000 retail at least, but on the other hand someone might have a used one for a lot cheaper.

The Fuji has an XC fork and parts, and while they are nice they won't hold up.

The Specialized looks decent, but it has 24" wheels! Only for BMX/dirt jumping for the most part. You'd hate it on the trail.

The Kona looks decent actually. No frills and it will be heavy, but it will do the job pretty well. But that's kind of the way it is, pay to play, and you simply have to pony up to the required amount that it takes, or you'll kill bikes, possibly injure yourself (which may happen anyway, but that's the sport eh?) and generally be unhappy. So the best advice would be to not do anything hasty, wait a little if you have to, save up a little more if you have to, or wait till that "better deal" comes along.
Thank you for the wise words. You said the STP wasn't a bad bike so I found another. What do you think of this one?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,000 Posts
you need to decide what exactly kind of riding you want....from my experience Ohio is pretty flat.....even the Mohican Forest doesn't have that much elevation change but it is still fun...that would be a decent all around bike....parts are real cheap like the v-brakes....you get what you paid for.....I myself would save up anothe 300 to 500 more and get a kona coiler air....about the same as a STP for pedaling, disc brakes, better shifting, and a little suspension.....plus change to a coil shock and hit the resorts

the second STP looks clean but you may buy it cheaper without ebay fees at BIKEPEDIA.COM

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the response. You're right there isn't much climbing in mid-Ohio. I really can't justify spending a grand on a bike (you know, debt, bills and all) so I think I'm going to go with the STP for now. I'll take a look over at bikepedia.

·
Registered
706 Posts
That STP is a HUGE rip off. That bike was $475 brand new way back in 2004. I know because I have one. So this clown bought this bike 4 years ago, rode it, and now he's selling it for what he paid. No thanks. Check the pinkbike classifieds and you can find a used hardtail with a MUCH nicer build.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
you'll end up spending more in the long run if you try to ride too cheap... you just end up buying more and more stuff to replace the stuff that doesn't hold up.

be patient, save your money until you can buy a bike that will hold up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stumpjumper good?

OK I found a Specialized Stumpjumper in my area. Here are pics, specs and price. What do you guys think?

Asking $550

Year 2000 Small frame. Rock Shox SID. Cane Creek Headset. Race face carbon fiber cranks, XTR rear derailleur, Mavic Wheels, Rock Shox seatpost, Time ATAC pedals, V-brakes.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts