Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It's hard to beat the Inbred for the price. Plus I like the geometry of the Inbred a touch better. I owned an Optimus and didn't care for the long and low "wet cat", but others swear by it. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone's got one. Best advice, find a shop that has one or both and test ride, demo, rent them so you can see for yourself.

Good luck, either way you go they're great bikes.

If I had to choose between the two, it would be an Inbred with an ODIS fork

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, no one around has either bike. I have seen a guy on an Optimus Ti locally, but would never ask to demo it. I have never seen an On one here at all.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yeah, outside of living in the UK or Oregon you'll be hard pressed to find an On-One dealer. I have a 26" Inbred with their house brand sliding drop outs... been a great frame, and I was very close to picking up a 29er.

According to Vassago, there are two dealers in FL

Alex Bicycles
954-990-0836

Higher Ground Bicycle
850-942-2453

No idea where they are in relationship to where you are... it's a big state so maybe road trip time. Otherwise, might want to post up in the regional forum that you're interested in riding one or both and be ready to reward the owner with some cold adult beverages post ride.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the shop list, but one is 3 hours north and the other is 3 hours south. The other problem I have found with shops, is when they are a dealer, but don't keep ANY stock of the bikes. If they do have one, it is typically not "demo-able". For me, the tough part is trying to figure out how they'll ride w/out being able to ride one. I like the slacker set up of the Jabber, but East coast trails don't usually do well with lower BB and longer wheelbase. Then there is the price difference. Is the Jabber a $200 better riding frame????

·
Registered
108 Posts
Inbred

I had the same post some months ago. I chose the Inbred slot dropout 29. I love it. I chose the Inbred because I wanted to be able to go back & forth SS or 1x9 which is easy with the slotted dropout/hangar config on the Inbred. Also the way the Inbred brake mount is located is nice because you don't have to mess with your disc to remove your rear wheel. I have more pictures if you're interested.

Both are nice bikes & I often wonder what could have been...I still really want to get a Vassago, but can't quite pull 2 bikes right now.

Dealing with On-One (Planet-X) direct was easy. Cheap & the frame showed up in like 3 days. Took me longer to find the 30.0 seat clamp locally than them to deliver the frame from UK.

Either way you're getting a good bike. let us know what you get & how you like it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I chose the Vassago Bandersnatch (same geo as a Jabber) over other 29ers I test rode because it felt like I was sitting in the bike more instead of on top of the bike. I think it put my center of gravity lower. The only real complaint against the Vassgo I have is how easily the paint chipped.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Coach417 said:
As the title says. I read this short thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=519217

I am looking to revive this and get more opinions. One will be my next build project. Thanks.
I nearly bought an Inbred last year when the exchange rate was low. I went with a Jabberwocky for two main reasons. First, the J has a slacker head angle, which to me is a major plus. I had a 2007 Rig before my Jabber and the steep front end really bugged me. Second, there's supposedly a problem with fitting BB7s on the Inbred brake mounts...not sure if this is really a problem, since I've seen a rear BB7 on at least one Inbred, but it's worth looking into. If you can't get a test ride, study the geo numbers as best you can and pick whichever is closest to your ideal. Also think about things like whether the frame will fit whatever parts you might already have...Vassagos have a fairly long head tube, and since I'm using a fork off another bike I can barely get enough spacers under my stem to put the bars where I want them.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
fat_weasel said:
I nearly bought an Inbred last year when the exchange rate was low. I went with a Jabberwocky for two main reasons. First, the J has a slacker head angle, which to me is a major plus. I had a 2007 Rig before my Jabber and the steep front end really bugged me. Second, there's supposedly a problem with fitting BB7s on the Inbred brake mounts...not sure if this is really a problem, since I've seen a rear BB7 on at least one Inbred, but it's worth looking into. If you can't get a test ride, study the geo numbers as best you can and pick whichever is closest to your ideal. Also think about things like whether the frame will fit whatever parts you might already have...Vassagos have a fairly long head tube, and since I'm using a fork off another bike I can barely get enough spacers under my stem to put the bars where I want them.
BB7s with a 160mm rotor are hard to do because the frame is really close to the cable bolt on the lever arm. You can work around this with flatter bolts or attaching the cable with the caliper out and then remounting it. Or you can just use a 185mm rotor and not have any problems at all.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not too worried about head tubes or brake mounts. I have a WB 110 with a fairly long steerer tube ( I tend to not cut them flush, I don't keep bikes too long), and I run Formula K-18's. The WB should slacken the geo of the Inbred a bit, but it would also raise the BB of the Jabber (a good thing). At this point, with both frames getting such high praise, I will probably get the Inbred and save the $200.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.