Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been a fan of use specific lubrication. I've always found it to be overpriced and almost no different than conventional lubricants. I've always found that quality lubricant is quality lubricant. I'm not looking to spend extra money on bicycle specific lubricant. I'm not looking to start the debate over who's lube is better

I've been using zep 45 NC for about a year because I had it in my garage. It works well on the chain, however after about a few weeks it gets a little goopy derailleur wheels and front chainring. I really don't think it's made for dirty conditions.

What dry lubricants or dryer lubricants have people found work well on the drivetrain?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,526 Posts
I'm not looking to start the debate over who's lube is better
But that's what you did :p

There are probably 1,000 "what's the best lube?" threads but one more won't hurt anything. IME that Zep45 is pretty good for pivots and pulley wheels but horrible for chains. I haven't found a dry lube that I'm really satisfied with yet but most of the ones I'm aware of are marketed for bicycle chains. They are kind of pricey but overall a small maintenance expense so I see no reason not to buy a product just because it's bicycle specific.

Rock & Roll is really clean. I haven't had much luck with it in wet and/or sandy-dusty conditions but a friend of mine who rides more than me loves it.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
With any wet lube, one thing that helps a lot is to wipe off as much lube off the outside of the chain as possible. An old terrycloth washcloth/towel works the best. If the lube on the chain is tacky, wetting the rag with OMS works great.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always wipe the chain down however I use the same rag that catches the spray from the lube. I guess that really doesn't do a good job in drying off the outside of the chain. Hmmmmm

·
Registered
17,526 Posts
I always wipe the chain down however I use the same rag that catches the spray from the lube. I guess that really doesn't do a good job in drying off the outside of the chain. Hmmmmm

The Lone Ranger is right, wiping the chain down clean and dry is critical, especially with "wet" lubes. Also the chainring(s).

Seriously though you can do a lot better than that ZEP45, imo anyway. We used that stuff for years in bike shops but not on chains.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I get where you're going with the thread but can't help but to chuckle.

I've always found that quality lubricant is quality lubricant.
Then you say this
It works well on the chain, however after about a few weeks it gets a little goopy derailleur wheels and front chainring. I really don't think it's made for dirty conditions
Perhaps not all lube (even of quality) is the same?

Back to the normally scheduled debate-free lube thread. LOL

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All right, I'll be investing in some new rags or old t-shirts.

back in the day I used to use finish line, however that was before it got marketed as a bike specific lube.

I'm most definitely ditching the zep 45.

any suggestions for what to look for at home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware or even Wally world. I've never found buying online to save any money.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with what non chain lube is good for a chain.

There are other threads that have some discussion I think.

Maybe even chainsaw bar oil? That's specific to a chain saw, but not bike specific. ;)

You'll need something that lasts long. Isn't too viscous that it won't lubricate well between the rollers. Yet not so runny that it won't cling....bike specific lubes can be super runny but they also (claim) to leave their protective properties behind.

People swear by WD40 although it's not meat to be a lube. Apply after every ride. Maybe that will work and it will definitely make your bike smell nicer.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,188 Posts
Dry lubes wash off ridiculously easily when you go through any kind of water IME, this is especially frustrating in a sandy environment like AZ or high altitude Sierras, then it just grinds away on the rest of the ride. I’ve found dry lubes are terrific for winter snow riding and most rides less than 15 miles, but with the latter I have to reapply for every ride. This all means it’s of limited use to me and no dry lube I’ve found works any different. Wet lubes are for the nasty wet rides, and for that, good ole synthetic 0W30, the same I use as bath-oil in suspension, works terrific. My “every day” is Dumonde Tech, it’s a polymer base in a carrier and it seems to do the best of both and go a long time without reapplication. The "lite" version would be most appropriate if you are looking to match the benefits of dry lubes.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
don't use lube, it's a conspiracy meant to empty yer wallet

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Boeshield T-9 is available in larger containers from Marinas among other sources. Once you invest in a squeeze bottle for application purposes, the savings will just keep piling up!

·
No known cure
5,747 Posts
My mom's a professional seamstress. She does costumes fo plays, productions, tv ect. She gets sewing machine oil by the gallon for $20. It works well as a chain lube in dry conditions and doesn't sludge up, and I cant tell the difference between it and T9 which we also both use.

It's applied to the moving parts, cycled, and the exess wiped off. Just like a chain or fork wipers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.