Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i have a FR-5, the problem is it requires a big wrench for on trail fixes, and im not interested in bringing one, do any of the other manufacturers make one that can be attached to a socket, or even a wrench smaller than 1".

i have seen this :

stein-mini-lock

and i might yet get that, but for now, a socket that attaches to a 3/8 or 1/2" drive socket would be fine.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have a cheap Cyclepro tool set that has a lockring tool that takes a 1/2" drive. It also comes with an adapter to use the 8mm hex wrench that comes with the kit instead of a 1/2" drive.

If you were looking for something to take on the trail I'd get one of those Stein tools you linked.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I carry a lot of stuff in my pack, but not a cassette lockring tool. Do you carry a chainwhip as well? For a pack I'd go with something like the Stein, too. I just keep an FR5 in my car tool kit as well as at home along with the chainwhips...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i usually have:

1/4" ratchet
2 tubes
tire levers
pump
folding hex key set 2-6mm
1/4"-3/8" drive adaptor
3/8"drive 8mm + 10mm hex sockets

i am beginning to go places that are hours of a hike from my car. on the most recent outing, my cassette became loose about 2/3 of the way through and f-ed up every climb from there on. i am beginning to go further distances and i also use CL rotors. the 3 things left to add are a lockring tool and BB socket that i can attach to my 1/4" drive with adapters and a chainwhip/pedal wrench combo (even though my pedals use a hex key right now.)

i should mention, i use the gxp crank, thats why i have the 8 & 10mm and the 1/4" ratchet.

thanks for the help.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I never even thought about the CL rotors, I'd probably carry one too if I used those hubs (but I won't). I haven't had a cassette come loose since I learned the proper torque for one. Maybe you want one of these if you're willing to use the 1/2" drive http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=TL0536

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.