Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Poison Oak Finder
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some direction on which bikes to do further research on!

I'm looking for a hardtail XC bike, lightweight and strong, with great climbing ability. I currently ride a Klein Mantra full suspension which has always been a good climber. But I'm finding that most of the trails I ride don't really necessitate a full suspension bike and I'd like to get something lighter and faster (and newer).

I'm happy to do my own research, but I don't have an idea where to start. Can you guys throw out some companies and models I should look at? I'd like to keep cost around $2K, but am willing to pay a bit more for a quality product. I tend to avoid the mass production bikes such as Specialized, Trek, and Cannondale - just a personal preference.

Thanks.

·
the giant.
720 Posts
going by the fact that you stay away from name brand companies, check out bikesdirect.com they have amazing prices on good bikes. you can get a full xtr component bike for around 2000 MAX. i would look into that. some are around 22lbs, so it would be a good climber. i would check it out

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
To start with the Specialized Stumjumper hardtail if you can get it at some kind of discount would be a good place to start. You end up paying a little bit more for it. The Giant XTC Alliance is a bit cheaper and has carbon fiber seat stays to make the ride a little softer. The Specialized Stumpjumper has a nice geometry and I think is pretty much a no brainer.

The Jamis Dragon which is a steel frame bike and has been in production a long time is worth taking a look at. Its not a whole lot heavier and you get the advantage of a steel frame with a softer rider.

My current favorite hardtail would be one of the Pricepoint Sette carbon fiber hardtails. The 22 lb model at 2100 with an XT drive train is pretty attractive. Both Scott and Felt offer nice race grade hardtails that are probably a bit cheaper than the mainstream bikes.

·
Super Moderator
6,784 Posts
Here is my hardtail. Its exactly 19 pounds using only the best XC racing hardware. Total cost = $3400. It can be lifted by two fingers and the climbing ability is simply phenomenal...it almost climbs telepathically. I have easily been able to sprint to 30mph on the road with this beast too. A true weapon...

The 2009 Cannondale F3 is a bike which can easily build to sub-20 pound weights too.

·
Poison Oak Finder
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
borregokid said:
To start with the Specialized Stumjumper hardtail if you can get it at some kind of discount would be a good place to start. You end up paying a little bit more for it. The Giant XTC Alliance is a bit cheaper and has carbon fiber seat stays to make the ride a little softer. The Specialized Stumpjumper has a nice geometry and I think is pretty much a no brainer.

The Jamis Dragon which is a steel frame bike and has been in production a long time is worth taking a look at. Its not a whole lot heavier and you get the advantage of a steel frame with a softer rider.

My current favorite hardtail would be one of the Pricepoint Sette carbon fiber hardtails. The 22 lb model at 2100 with an XT drive train is pretty attractive. Both Scott and Felt offer nice race grade hardtails that are probably a bit cheaper than the mainstream bikes.
Thanks for the info.

I really like the specs on the Scott Scale 35, but alas it is not offered in the US (according to my local shop). They're out of stock on the 30, so it's either the ultra expensive 20 or the aluminum 40. I'm going to check out the 40 just to see what it is like. That same shop also carries the Felt stuff, but it's usually special order.

I'm going to check out a Yeti ARC also.

But please keep the recommendations coming...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts