Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding a Trek Fuel EX 5 with a 3x9 drivetrain. My middle chainring is a 32t. I have been riding without a bash guard for as long as I have owned the bike so my top ring is destroyed and unusable. For the past two years I have never left the middle chainring so I figure why not get rid of some weight. Do I need to get a special chainring and chain guide or can I just run a bash guard on the inside and outside of the chainring?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Recommend race face or other narrow wide chain ring, race face can be found for a little over $30, narrow wide offers extra chain retention that will likely allow you to run without a guide. If more chain retention is needed you could always add a clutched RD. Good luck :). Tons of other 1x info in the forums on here for you as well.

·
There's always next year.
877 Posts
Pick up a RaceFace Narrow/Wide chainring (or similar) to start. Get rid of the FD, shifter and extra rings--you might need shorter chainring bolts.
If that works for you, you're done-- its working well for my wife's bike right now, but depending on how crazy you get, it might not be enough.
If you keep losing the chain, clutch RD is one (expensive) option. Don't know specifics on your Trek, but a cheaper option would be to pick up a top chainguide. A company called MRP makes one that worked perfectly for me.

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
I stripped the front junk off mine and kept the middle 32 tooth
took off the 11-34 cassette and got a 12-36 on my 29er hard tail.

Same story,, I could not spin the 22T granny fast enough to do much and never used the big ring. I found my self always on the 32T and always using the same 4 or 5 gears. Now that I got only nine I find I still use the same 4 or 5..
I do like the extra 2 teeth on the 12-36 and have not missed the 11-34 at all..

I added the paul chain keeper for,,,$65 I think it was..
Chain Keeper from Paul Component Engineering

It works just fine...

I Intend to beat my transmission to junk then go with a wide narrow, a clutch and a 1X10 set up...

I'd like a cassette with that 42 tooth gear I think.. And a 34 up front,,yeah man..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Race face 34 tooth narrow/wide will be here Thursday. I already stripped my front components and rode this weekend on just my 32 tooth chain ring. Only lost the chain once. If it it a problem once I install the RF chain ring I will put a chain guide on it. I was really surprised at how much the shifter and FD weighed when it took them off. Thanks for the info.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Race face 34 tooth narrow/wide will be here Thursday. I already stripped my front components and rode this weekend on just my 32 tooth chain ring. Only lost the chain once. If it it a problem once I install the RF chain ring I will put a chain guide on it. I was really surprised at how much the shifter and FD weighed when it took them off. Thanks for the info.
Take a look at the Bionicon C-Guide (dangler), with one of those and a nw ring you may not need to worry about a clutch derailleur. Besides you'd have to invest in 10 spd shifter, cassette and chain to use one anyway. Decide if you want/need a bash ring or not as it really won't work much as a guide unless you have the lower retention system (C-Guide or the like).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.