Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run a 100mm Tora SL solo air on my first bike, a Hardrock 29er.
Now that I'm going to get a better frame I'd like to use most of my existing parts if possible but want to make sure I'm not screwing myself by using the fork I have.
It works fine for me now, it was the spec'd fork on a Rockhopper 29er about a year ago, I was considering just getting it serviced/rebuilt for $100 or less and just installing on the EMD, is this a mistake?
Would I be better off using the $100 for a rebuild, selling the Tora for $100, and putting that money towards a more suitable fork to get the most out of the new chassis?
I can;t afford to drop $400-500 on the fork so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
372 Posts
tora will work

throw the tora on for a year or so and save up for the recon, or better yet the reba. I have a reba on my rip 9, a tora on my fisher cobia, and a recon on my x caliber. The tora does the job but the reba is the bomb.

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
If you can't afford $400-$500, then what exactly would you be putting the $100 towards? If you can't afford the money to do it right--F29 or Reba--then throw on the Tora and let 'er rip. No harm there!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, after doing research over the weekend it looks like I ned to hang on to the Tora I have and pick up a Reba 100mm when the 2012's come out and they start marking down the '11 stuff.
What I meant about the money is that if I sell the Tora for $100 and use the $100 I was planning on spending to hot-rod it than I could put another $200 towards a new shock, something in the $400 range.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Check out the '10 Manitou Minute 29 - great performance for the money($350ish). Lighter and better performing than the Tora. I think the Manitou is close to on par with the F29 and Reba. Price vs performance = Manitou hands down.

I wouldn't waste the money on having the Tora serviced. It would be pretty straightforward to service it yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.