Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Marin ROCK SPRINGS ELITE 29er

Why cant I find info about this bike?

Im trying to figure out if this is a womens bike or mens bike?

Is it a good deal? $1250?

thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
It is a mens bike. Just be careful who you order it from ,beware of bait and switch websites. For that kind of money you can find a 2014 hardtail at your local bike shop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a mens bike. Just be careful who you order it from ,beware of bait and switch websites. For that kind of money you can find a 2014 hardtail at your local bike shop.
Thank you for verifying! I was looking to get it from:

2012 Marin Rock Springs Elite 29er 19" Hardtail MTB Bike Shimano SLX Fox New | eBay

It is a little different because it is the Elite model. You were saying I could pick up a 2014 HT at my local shop, but which one? Most don't come with Fox suspensions or any of the better components.

FYI: This is my other thread regarding which bike I'm looking at.

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/new-member-looking-mtb-905276.html

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thank you for verifying! I was looking to get it from:

2012 Marin Rock Springs Elite 29er 19" Hardtail MTB Bike Shimano SLX Fox New | eBay

It is a little different because it is the Elite model. You were saying I could pick up a 2014 HT at my local shop, but which one? Most don't come with Fox suspensions or any of the better components.

FYI: This is my other thread regarding which bike I'm looking at.

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/new-member-looking-mtb-905276.html
It's not a high end fox fork, but that bike looks decent enough. :thumbsup:
You won't regret a 29er when hitting the roots on FL trails.
The other bike I'd compare it to is , the Goblin (the Reba fork is super sweet).
Airborne Bicycles. Goblin

I'm about 15 mins from Carter Road mtb park / Loyce E. Harpe Park , if you ever get in the area.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rock Springs was NOT a Marin model in the US in 2012. I've worked for a Marin dealer since 2010, and I've never even heard of the Rock Springs? I even checked Marin's online archives for 2012 & Bike Pedia, and it's not listed. Unless I'm totally blind? I did do a search. The Marin Rock Springs was a full suspension model they produced from like 1999-2006?

With that being said... Maybe it was a UK spec model or something like that, that one of the online bike distributors bought on a closeout? The bike is pretty much an exact replica of the Nail Trail(exact components and everything -- just different graphics). It's weird, because the bike pictured is almost exactly the 2013 Nail Trail 26", but with 29'er wheels. And they didn't offer the tapered head tube until the 2013 model year, but this bike is a 2012, and it has a tapered head tube?
I'm not saying it's not a legit description of the bike, but I would investigate a little more... My .02

·
Registered
994 Posts
Rock Springs was NOT a Marin model in the US in 2012. I've worked for a Marin dealer since 2010, and I've never even heard of the Rock Springs? I even checked Marin's online archives for 2012 & Bike Pedia, and it's not listed. Unless I'm totally blind? I did do a search. The Marin Rock Springs was a full suspension model they produced from like 1999-2006?

With that being said... Maybe it was a UK spec model or something like that, that one of the online bike distributors bought on a closeout? The bike is pretty much an exact replica of the Nail Trail(exact components and everything -- just different graphics). It's weird, because the bike pictured is almost exactly the 2013 Nail Trail 26", but with 29'er wheels. And they didn't offer the tapered head tube until the 2013 model year, but this bike is a 2012, and it has a tapered head tube?
I'm not saying it's not a legit description of the bike, but I would investigate a little more... My .02
I looked through Marin archives also and didn't find it. Searched every country listed and even the international section.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not a high end fox fork, but that bike looks decent enough. :thumbsup:
You won't regret a 29er when hitting the roots on FL trails.
The other bike I'd compare it to is , the Goblin (the Reba fork is super sweet).
Airborne Bicycles. Goblin
I'm about 15 mins from Carter Road mtb park / Loyce E. Harpe Park , if you ever get in the area.
I always thought FOX made the best? Are the components better on the Goblin? I noticed its a 2x10 geared bike.. I guess I really don't need 3x10 in FL.

Looks like a very nice bike for the money. Great components.
Thanks

Thanks for the input.. I thought I just sucked at researching because I couldnt find anything about it online, marin's site, and bikepedia.

I guess the only way to find out is to contact Marin. Ill keep everyone posted on the outcome.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
The Airborne Goblin is a pretty sweet deal IMO.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
2012 Marin ROCK SPRINGS ELITE 29er

Why cant I find info about this bike?

Im trying to figure out if this is a womens bike or mens bike?

Is it a good deal? $1250?

thanks for the help!!
It definitely is a men bike and I would say that $1250 is a pretty good deal for it. Be careful from the scams though.

·
Riding bikes since 1976
44 Posts
First off, the seller of that Ebay posting is random.bike.parts on eBay. They have been selling Marin, Giant, and Specialized bikes for years. I have bought parts from them before(no bikes), but they are a legit seller.
So the name of the bike in the post is possibly wrong or unfamiliar to us. Contact them. Find out what the model is and the exact specs(which they already posted, but anyway).

The Airborne Goblin is a good bike from a good(as far as I have read) company. "That" Marin is a good bike at that price from a bigger company. They are both worth the money.

*The Reba fork requires less maintenance then the FOX fork, go ahead and check the Suspension forum for yourself.
*The SLX drivetrain on the Marin and X-7 on the Goblin are about the same level, though the SLX crank is stronger(have used both myself and read some forums) and the XT derailleur on the Marin is better.
*The Sun Black Flag wheel set on the Marin is far better(again read some forums).
*I use SRAM brakes(many models) and dont really like the Elixers that are on the Goblin. But from what I could research both those and the Formula on the Marin are decent brake sets.
*The saddle on the Marin is better(lighter also), but saddles are a subjective part.
*The Goblin is a 2X10 and the Marin is a 3X10. Depending on where you want to ride the 3X10 gives more gearing options(obviously).

IMHO...get the Marin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First off, the seller of that Ebay posting is random.bike.parts on eBay. They have been selling Marin, Giant, and Specialized bikes for years. I have bought parts from them before(no bikes), but they are a legit seller.
So the name of the bike in the post is possibly wrong or unfamiliar to us. Contact them. Find out what the model is and the exact specs(which they already posted, but anyway).

The Airborne Goblin is a good bike from a good(as far as I have read) company. "That" Marin is a good bike at that price from a bigger company. They are both worth the money.

*The Reba fork requires less maintenance then the FOX fork, go ahead and check the Suspension forum for yourself.
*The SLX drivetrain on the Marin and X-7 on the Goblin are about the same level, though the SLX crank is stronger(have used both myself and read some forums) and the XT derailleur on the Marin is better.
*The Sun Black Flag wheel set on the Marin is far better(again read some forums).
*I use SRAM brakes(many models) and dont really like the Elixers that are on the Goblin. But from what I could research both those and the Formula on the Marin are decent brake sets.
*The saddle on the Marin is better(lighter also), but saddles are a subjective part.
*The Goblin is a 2X10 and the Marin is a 3X10. Depending on where you want to ride the 3X10 gives more gearing options(obviously).

IMHO...get the Marin.
Thank you for sharing your experience with these components! You have really given me a better insight on both those bikes! I am leaning towards the Marin for sure now.

Unfortunately, I have also now come across the Goblin Evolution.. Looks very interesting(yes the price is about $400 more)

What do you think about that one? I'm guessing it is much better than the Marin.. Ill have to do some more research. The fork does look better than the FOX fork and the GE might actually also be lighter?

I greatly appreciate all your guys help! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Marin emailed me back saying the 2012 Marin ROCK SPRINGS ELITE 29er is a legit Marin model. The reason why Marin doesn't have it listed on their site is because they released that model at the end of 2012.

I'm doing more research to see if there are any better alternatives in this price range for a 29er.

·
Registered
10 Posts
image.jpg

I am new to mountain biking and have been researching bikes for the past few weeks. The Marin Rock Springs Elite seems to be an amazing deal. It appears to me to have better components then bikes costing hundreds more. The fox fork and black flag wheels cost $800-900 alone. I paid $1099 plus $46 shipping. I purchased it from cross lake sales which I believe is the same co as random bike parts on eBay. It was just delivered an hour ago. It was delivered in one week, well packaged and seems like a very under priced bike.

I was laughing at your post as I was amazed I could not find any info/reviews on the bike. Very rare that you find no info on the internet.

Good luck, Troy

edit - damn ipad always uploads pics sideways.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 880410

I am new to mountain biking and have been researching bikes for the past few weeks. The Marin Rock Springs Elite seems to be an amazing deal. It appears to me to have better components then bikes costing hundreds more. The fox fork and black flag wheels cost $800-900 alone. I paid $1099 plus $46 shipping. I purchased it from cross lake sales which I believe is the same co as random bike parts on eBay. It was just delivered an hour ago. It was delivered in one week, well packaged and seems like a very under priced bike.

I was laughing at your post as I was amazed I could not find any info/reviews on the bike. Very rare that you find no info on the internet.

Good luck, Troy

edit - damn ipad always uploads pics sideways.

thanks for the info Troy!

So how do you like it? Is the assembly hard since youre new to biking?

Could you give us the overall weight of the bike? Which frame size did you get?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am new to mountain biking but am heavy into motocross, motorcycle racing and quads. I do all the work on my bikes so I thought this mt bike was pretty easy. All you need to do is bolt on handle bars etc. The most challenging part is truing the wheels although they were already good and adjusting the derailleaurs. Like pretty much anything you can become proficient after a few you tube videos. Give me an hour and an I-pad and I can build a laser gun, figure out how to cook meth and tune the bike.

I am waiting for my pedals, shock pump and floor pump to be shipped so I can ride it. Even after I ride it my opinion will not mean much as this is my first real mountain bike. I can tell you it looks sick and feels super light. I am impressed with the bike. Looks a lot nicer then the $1400 specialized bikes at the LBS with low end components.

I bought the 17 inch as I am 5'9". I guess I am on the borderline of going to a 19. The 19 inch is listed as weighing 26.5 pounds. I guess the 17 is a bit shy of that. I do not have a way to confirm this.

I almost went with motobecane or airborne but then came across the Marin. It is still a better deal in my opinion and I feel better that it is a major brand name. The others may be just as good but I just feel better with the Marin. At $2000 it is a fair price. At $1100 it is a steal.

I am a picky bastard but have not found anything to ***** about yet.

Keep your eye out on EBay. They same seller "random bike parts" had 2 of the same size bikes listed but one was listed at $100 less.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the bike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am new to mountain biking but am heavy into motocross, motorcycle racing and quads. I do all the work on my bikes so I thought this mt bike was pretty easy. All you need to do is bolt on handle bars etc. The most challenging part is truing the wheels although they were already good and adjusting the derailleaurs. Like pretty much anything you can become proficient after a few you tube videos. Give me an hour and an I-pad and I can build a laser gun, figure out how to cook meth and tune the bike.

I am waiting for my pedals, shock pump and floor pump to be shipped so I can ride it. Even after I ride it my opinion will not mean much as this is my first real mountain bike. I can tell you it looks sick and feels super light. I am impressed with the bike. Looks a lot nicer then the $1400 specialized bikes at the LBS with low end components.

I bought the 17 inch as I am 5'9". I guess I am on the borderline of going to a 19. The 19 inch is listed as weighing 26.5 pounds. I guess the 17 is a bit shy of that. I do not have a way to confirm this.

I almost went with motobecane or airborne but then came across the Marin. It is still a better deal in my opinion and I feel better that it is a major brand name. The others may be just as good but I just feel better with the Marin. At $2000 it is a fair price. At $1100 it is a steal.

I am a picky bastard but have not found anything to ***** about yet.

Keep your eye out on EBay. They same seller "random bike parts" had 2 of the same size bikes listed but one was listed at $100 less.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the bike
Awesome, I used to race in the 125cc group myself.(2 stroke back then)

After doing more research I think this is the best bike at this price range. I will go ahead and order one next week.

I couldn't find much info on the FOX F29 fork, can you confirm if it has a lockout? Anything else that stands out? Whats the exact model?

thank you so much for helping me decide! Cant wait to get my Marin! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
The new 4 stokes spank 2 strokes on the track but 2 strokes are still such a blast to ride.

I just spent all morning trying to figure out exactly what shock it is. I am pretty sure it is a 32mm. It has a lockout and rebound adjustment and the air pressure adjustment. If you google "2012 fox float 29 evolution series" the first link is the shock on fox's website. Found the same one on eBay for $589.

The biggest deciding factor for me was the forks and wheels. They are the most expensive upgrades. Now I do not need to upgrade. There are a few nice bikes priced well with great forks. I have not found any bike close to this price range with such good wheels.

The sun ringle black flag wheels have great reviews. Once you spin the wheel it will keep going for about 20 min. Haha. Almost no friction.

Again this all comes from someone with little mtb experience but I did my research.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts