Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted this deal over in the deals forum and ordered the FSK SL-K MTB Triple 44/32/22 (9 speed) crankset, which says it uses (and comes with) a MegaExo bottom bracket.

I've gone digging for information, but there's really surprisingly little available. This review from Bike Rumor is the most informative thing I've found, but there's a lot I don't know, and I'd like to know more. (I did try some custom Google searches to dig for info in this forum, but I didn't find much.)

All of my bikes have used JIS square taper cranks, though I upgraded my 26er with a X9 drive kit I picked up last year that included a 3x9 X7 crank that uses SRAM's GXP BB.

I'm assuming the Park Tool BBT-9 Bottom Bracket Tool that I have will work to install the new BB. I'm also guessing that the GXP and MegaExo BBs are incompatible. I'm not terribly concerned about the installation, but I am very interested in what I should know about the SL-K cranksets, and this specific model if anyone has any helpful experience. (Regarding BBs, will this crankset only work with a MegaExo BB?)

Thank you in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Yes the Park tool will work. The FSA BB is much like a Shimano setup. The crank floats in the bearings unlike the GXP where it is captured in the non-drive side bearing. If you are replacing a cartridge BB you should really have the BB shell on the frame faced.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are replacing a cartridge BB you should really have the BB shell on the frame faced.
I am, and that's good advice. Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts