Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already ride a 29" Redline Monocog, but am looking for a smaller, playful bike for practicing tricks and skills, and mixing up local trails. Also, because N+1.

Ideally under $400. Am trying to find a 26" Monocog but haven't seen any on craigslist. I looked at some Dirt Jumpers like the DK Xenia but I expect they would be unsuitable for trail riding, and I'd need to add a new fork and front hub if I wanted front brakes. Any suggestions for something steel, rigid, and flickable that I might find used?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the Solo One was a 29er?

I forgot about the Bees Knees! I'd consider that if it were closer to $400, since I know it'll need some upgrades out of the box. There's a sale at Nashbar most Sundays?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
A couple of the Bianchi SS are steel, the MUSS for instance, I think you could find a stock one for your price. Another option is the Surly 1*1, but it may be harder to find at that price. I think the original monocogs were 26ers with rim brakes. I think honestly that you should be hitting CL or fleabay hard to find something used in decent shape. From what I remember, that Nashbar knees has some weight to it and also will need a cog and ring change for the trail. Let the hunt begin!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I thought the Solo One was a 29er?

I forgot about the Bees Knees! I'd consider that if it were closer to $400, since I know it'll need some upgrades out of the box. There's a sale at Nashbar most Sundays?
My Solo One is a 26er, but it's a few years old. Sign up for the Nashbar emails and everything is usually 20-25% off on Sundays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.