Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a few days ago my rear wheel had some wobble to it. It's pretty new and I've done some hard riding, so I thought it was time to take it in for its first tune-up, thinking they would just true the wheel while it was in there. Well, one of the mechanics called me the next day saying it was bent beyond truing, and I should get a new wheel. It's not bad enough to where I can't ride, but I will need a replacement sooner or later.
Anyway, the options he gave me were #1) I can get a bontrager (can't remember which one), which retails for $80. He said it's designed for rim brakes making it heavier than my current ones, but it can accept discs. Option #2) I can go with a replacement of the stock wheel, which is a Specialized Alex, for $60. In his opinion, the Alex is better because it's lighter, yet still strong enough for the kind of riding I do. I didn't bend the wheel riding, most likely. I did a really dumb thing and tried to fit two bikes into the back of a Honda Civic, with mine on the bottom. Needless to say, that won't happen again.
Anybody have any different suggestions? If not, what do you think of the two above? Sorry I don't have the name of the Bontrager. I don't want to drop too much money, I'd say $80 at the most. But, if there are other, better wheels out there for around that price, I'd consider going with them. I mostly do XC style singletrack, since there's nothing in the way of aggressive terrain where I live.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm honestly not sure how to design my wheel. Never had to buy one before, and I don't know what I'm looking at with those options. I can't seem to get the rear wheel below $122. I can tell you my bike has an 8-gear on the back so it has to work with those. Also, my brakes are BB5s, which I have no desire to change right now. And is it a good idea to have two different wheels, the OEM on the front and the Mavic on the back?

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
GPRider08 said:
I'm honestly not sure how to design my wheel. Never had to buy one before, and I don't know what I'm looking at with those options. I can't seem to get the rear wheel below $122. I can tell you my bike has an 8-gear on the back so it has to work with those. Also, my brakes are BB5s, which I have no desire to change right now. And is it a good idea to have two different wheels, the OEM on the front and the Mavic on the back?
Somehow I thought it was a front wheel you needed. No matter; a rear is just a bit more.
Here it is -
Wheelset - $125.
Front wheel - none - minus $50.
Nipple option - none - standard brass.
Rear hub - Shimano 6-bolt - +$25.
Spoke option - silver stainless - standard.
Total - $100.

This one's a better deal -
http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=45
Wheelset - $130
Minus front wheel - $50.
Total - $80.

Tough to beat that for a hand-built wheel. Yes it will take an 8-spd cassette.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts